heat exchanger

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard Armstrong

I cleaned out my heatexchanger this weekend and now the end gaskets leak. I remember Ron Hill mentioning where you could buy these, but cant find the post. I think i need the end plates also, mine look a little deformed.
Thanks you the help.

Howard

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Howard : Call Glen-Mar Marine in Largo Fl. (800)282-0123.  The gasket "alone" is SemDure #0332 for $1.50.   If you want the entire end cap assembly (bronze cap cover, end gasket & rubber washer)  it's part# 5373 at alittle bit more.

These part numbers are for the 3 inch heat exchanger.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Gene Regan

Here is one more source http://www.torresen.com
Good luck with the project. Be careful not to over tighten end cap bolts as you will collapse caps inward , possibly creating leaks also.

Howard Armstrong

thanks for the information. just finished ordering the parts and some spares.
Howard

Ron Hill

Guys: The new replacement end caps are much heavier and less likely to collapse when you "snug" them down.  The inside rubber washer is also more substantial than the original -- MAINSHEET article I wrote back about 1997.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Howard Armstrong

I installed the new end caps this weekend and found more problems. Found a tube with a hole and am leaking between the two sides. i have found a replacement at Marine Parts Finder for $308. does anyone know of a less expensive place to get one?
Thanks.
Howard

Stu Jackson

Howard

We have an M-25 engine, 1640 engine hours now.  I purchased a new 3 inch HX in 2001 for $300.08 from our local Universal distributor here in the SF Bay.  I installed it two years later.  Needed to bend the mounting bracket down a bit to clear the exhaust riser.  When you do so, be sure to check the clearance for the removal of the transmission dip stick.

I would recommend going to the 3 inch HX if you're already having to replace the old 2 inch HX.  The engine runs a lot cooler and you can keep it at full throttle when needed in emergencies for a longer period of time.  We used to run at 175 F to 185 F with a clean 2 inch, now run at 160 F all the time.

It's also a good time to replace your water hoses.  The bottom connection of the new 3 inch HX is angled at 90 to port, so you'll end up needing a longer hose there anyway.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Howard : Did you ask Glen- Mar Marine if they have an entire replacement or where they might know where you can buy one?  
As I recall you already have a 3 " heat exchanger.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Howard Armstrong

Yes, and they do not stock replacements. i was surprised to find a couple of places that had the exchanger but could not sell to the public. one place in Savanna Ga wanted almost 450. as of now the best price i found is with Marine Parts Finders  561.748.0053 at $308. will let everyone know if i do better today.

thanks.

Howard Armstrong

I was on the phone ordering from Lenco for $260 when i got an email from a member of the list about I-netmarine.com. I went to the site and they have the same for $225. i told lenco about them and they dropped their price to the same. thanks ev erone.
Howard

Philip Imhof

The savings alone pays for your dues for two years. Not Bad.