Installing a Navico Autopilot

Previous topic - Next topic

msenko

If all goes well next week, I will be closing a sale on a 1987 C34. I want to move it to our new marina which is 80 miles due north, and I'll be attempting the move on a weekend. I want to instal a Navico autopilot and the most difficult part will be getting power to it. Since I don't konw much about how wires are run, and especially to the pedistal, what is the best and shortest route to get to the pedestal? My other thought is to leave as little wire on the outside of the pedestal as possible, and also to use a connector so the autopilot can be removed during long periods of unuse, ie, winter storage.

Thanks for any help.

Mike Senko

bjmansfield

Mike:
The best way is probably to following the existing wiring path from the wires currently exiting from the pedestal back to the electrical panel.  
Due to issues resulting from air conditioner installation and ducting, I ran the wires from the electrical panel through the hanging locker, behind the head re: the other wiring. I then brought the wiring into the area under the aft berth and ran it back under the aft bulkhead and up and across.  
I cut a hole in the teak aft bulkhead just to starboard of the removable pedestal cover and installed a plastic electrical outlet box.  I attached a terminal strip to the box and ran all the wires into the box and connected to the terminal strip.  This gives access to the wire connections without removing the bulkhead.  a teak cover hides the box nicely..

On the pedestal itself, i drilled a hole at about the 2 o'clock position level with the wire from the navico and ran the wires down inside the pedestal and over to the wire terminal.  Used wire ties to keep everything away from the steering chains, pulleys, cables etc.  This leaves only maybe 6-8" of wire outside the pedestal.
be sure and use a grommet at the pedestal.

Have had no problems in nearly 3 years.
If i had it to do over again however, i would have run an extra pair of wires at the same time for future use.

Also, the $$ spent on the Navico were worth every penny.  Use it constantly and it works great.

[This message was edited by Jack Mansfield # 1169 on July 09, 2001 at 11:27 AM.]

msenko

Thanks for the reply Jack. We closed on the boat today. The boat name is Puffin and she was owned by one of the list members originally and is in pretty good condition. I looked at the installation today and your explanationn makes perfect sense.

Best,

Mike