Jack Lines

Previous topic - Next topic

George Bean

How does everyone rig jack lines?  When I rig from bow to stern cleat, the line goes over a portion of cabin roof (Mk II boat) which puts some slack in the line.  Routing outside the shrouds keeps tension but seems to be less desirable as you have to go outside the shroud to go forward.  Also, to keep the jack line inside of the jib sheets, I have to route it inside of the fair leads.  Will this have a tendency to jam the fair lead?
George Bean
s/v Freya  1476

Ted Pounds

I also rig mine bow to stern cleat.  I run them on the deck inside the shrouds, not on the cabin roof.   I tension them so they are snug against the sides of the cabin.  You're right about keeping them inside the shrouds.  I run them inside the jib leads also.  I have the Garhauer lead adjusting system and have never had a problem with jack lines getting tangled.  I also added some SS rings in the cockpit for clipping on.  They're required under offshore racing rules and I had to have them for the Queen's cup race across Lake Michigan.  The rings are attached with SS eye-straps.  The two at the forward end of the cockpit  use the bolts that hold the companionway ladder bracket (may be different on MK II).  The aft one is through bolted to the front of the lazarette (definitely different on the MK II).
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Tony Benoit

Do you run the jack lines from cleat to cleat?  In other words, what do you attached each end to?

Thanks,

Tony

"Helen C"
'89 #903

Ted Pounds

Yes, I run them cleat to cleat.  I have three cleats up front, a large center cleat that came with the boat and two side cleats I added which are the same size as the stern cleats.  I have sewn-loops in both ends of the jacklines.  I run them from the large center cleat to each of the stern cleats.  I attach them by pulling the loop through the opening in the middle of the cleat and then looping over the horns.  I have them tight enough so I have to stretch pretty hard to get the second loop over.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

glwestcott

I use webbing and simply run it from cleat to cleat outside the shrouds.  Running inside makes it hard to move all the way forward without unclipping.  Important at times, especially when flying a spinnaker at night.  No loops - easier to tighten as they loosen when wet (which if they are flat nylon they will do) if you just tie them on the cleat as you would a line.  I also run a webbing line from an eye installed under the companionway to one just before the pedestal.  This way several can clip on at night in rough weather while in the cockpit.  We used this rig on a San Francisco to Hawaii race and family "cruise" return trip.  Worked well and was cheap!
Gary Westcott
C34 Jennifer Anne