Grohe faucet shower pullout

Previous topic - Next topic

Roland Gendreau

On our new C34, I noticed the head pullout shower wand does not have any shutoff. On our C30, the shower wand had a shutoff so that after you wet down with the water adjusted to the right temperature, you could halt the flow while soaping up, then turn it on again when ready to rinse, without having to fuss with the hot/cold mix.

Is such a shower wand shut off available for the Grohe faucet in the C34?

A web search for it turned up nothing.

Thanks

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

sail4dale

Unusual ... My 2001 model does have that shutoff.  I thought they all did.
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Stu Jackson

Roland

Here's the reference to the earlier post:

http://www.c34.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1527&highlight=grohe

Grohe may not sell it to you directly.  Ask them where your local dealer is.  It may be wholesale only, so you may need to have an "in" at the company.

Here's the picture:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roland Gendreau

Stu

The picture did not display

Where did you purchase the Grohe # 28 035 000 shut off?  From a plumbing supply?

Roland
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Ron Hill

Roland : Call Grohe at (630)582-7711.  You might have to order it thru Boat US or West, but you can get the particulars.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Roland,  our local distributor here in San Francisco is Cal Steam, noted by Grohe when I called them.  A friend in the plumbing business has an account with them and got it for me.  This won't help you on the east coast.  Follow Ron's advice.  You CAN obtain one if you work at it, and with your boat on the hard, you do have a wee bit'o'time.

I have NO idea why the picture didn't display.  Please get in touch with Phil Imhof, our webmaster.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

mike lofstrom

From my earlier post:  Get a Delta part number SB-131D shut off at your local Home Depot or Lowes.  It will fit the Grohe Shower head, and it only costs about $5

Roland Gendreau

Mike

Does the Delta valve have the metric thread? I got confused in your posting and thought the leak you had might have been due to the threads not matching the Grohe shower head

Thanks

Roland
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

mike lofstrom

I guess my posts on this were a little confusing.   Here's the deal:  The Grohe shower head on my boat is the black plastic unit that has the little lever at the top to switch it between steady stream and shower.  This black plastic part is what you would hold in your hand when you want to use it as a shower.  The black plastic part screws into a chrome piece that has the shower head at the top and the hose at the bottom.  On my boat, ( 1992)  The handheld unit has a standard 1/2 inch pipe thread where the black plastic handheld unit screws into the chrome hose adapter.  The chrome adapter is 1/2 NPT on top and metric on the bottom.  The shutoff goes on the top of the adapter just below the shower head.  The delta part is a standard 1/2 pipe thread.  

When I did this on my boat,  the first time I shut the shower off with this valve, I discovered that the metal hose was leaking.  ( I guess that the inner rubber hose had burst)  The hose has a small metric thread at the shower end, and a  standard 3/8 NPT thread at the faucet mixer connection.  

So:  I got a delta SB 131D shutoff from home depot,
and I had to get a replacement # 28-112 hose from Grohe because mine leaked.

If your hose is OK, all you need is the delta shutoff.  I'm going down to the boat this morning to finish my heater project, so I'll take a picture and post it this afternoon.

Mike Smith

The Grohe shutoff is designed to dribble.  This may be the source of the leak you have described. This is a safety feature to remind you to turn off the water at the faucet/distribution panel and not rely on the shutoff to keep your boat from filling up with water.

Mike

Stu Jackson

Mike's right, the Grohe shutoff DOESN'T shutoff completely, which is good.  I included that feature in my original post with the picture, reproduced above.  94.67835% shutoff is good enough for me, and it shouldn't break the hose, because it lets some water dribble through and doesn't build up pressure in the hose.

Ever buy a "less expensive" hose at a hardware store?  The minute you shutoff the hose, while the water is still running, the hose, somewhere in the middle and right below your grandma's dress, it breaks!

It's simple, ya gotta shutoff, a wand and a hose.

Da hose breaks, it leaks undaneeth, da wand wands, and da shutoff almost does.   :clap

'Nuff said?

Chris

Picked up a shutoff valve from local hardware store for about 3 dollars.  Works as if I paid sailboat prices.   Ben Holland / ChriSea
ChriSea #832, 1989
Tall rig, fin keel
Sailing on Lake Michigan

mike lofstrom

Here is a picture of the Delta shutoff installed on the shower head.

Stu Jackson

Mike, looks great.  What is the Delta part # so others can take advantage of your great, inexpensive find?

mike lofstrom

The shutoff is a Delta #SB 131D
Home Depot sells them for $4.97

FYI:  These also dribble a little when they are turned off.  Like the Grohe part, Not a true shutoff, but a big improvement for the shower!