Helm seat

Previous topic - Next topic

Roland Gendreau

What do you use for a helm seat on the open transom models?  When seated at the wheel of my new 1992, I will need a boost of a good 4-6 inches to see through the dodger.  

Is this something available through Catalina Direct?

Thanks

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude, #1083
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Sailor Vic

I own a 2005 with the walk through transom and love my helm seat made by

Al Carlson
Blue Heron Marine
Orange Beach, Alabama
email: carlson@gulftel.com
phone: 251-980-1813

Their website is at    www.helmseat.com

I love my seat. It is pricey but to me worth it.

It takes about 30 seconds to take the seat off.

Al is very easy to deal with (there was a problem with the 2004 versus 2005 model and Al was very accommodating and paid for shipping the original one back, etc).

Vic
2005 MKII - Letting Go  - #1688
Marina Village - Gate 11 - Alameda, Calif.

SailDan

:idea: Here's a possible solution: Modify the "diesel can storage shelf" project (on this web site).

Last year I received an e-mail from someone on this forum who had seen the "diesel can storage" project I posted and asked if I thought it could be modified to make a helm seat for a Mark II; sounds like what you're trying to do! I responded that it should work, and suggested that, if he decided to go ahead with the project, he should take some photos and post them on this site.  Unfortunately I did not keep his e-mail and don't know if he ever attempted the project; if he is still lurking around the site, maybe he can give us some feedback.  

This is actually a very easy project.  You could make a "temporary" seat from scrape plywood to work the bugs out (measurements).  If it works, you could then manufacture a permanent one using mahogany, teak, or another suitable wood of your choice.

In an event, take a look at the project.  I see no reason the plans for the diesel can storage shelf could not be modified to make a "seat" and hung on the "inside" of the swim ladder facing the helm.  If you do decide to give it a try, be sure and post some pictures of the final product.  :thumb:
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

sail4dale

gee, do you have the cushion for the helm seat? I find it great but I'm tall.  Some shipmates place a throwing cushion on it to boost them to the point of good visibility over the cabin top.
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

sselinger

I have a 1990 Open transom boat. The previous owner had cockpit cushion made for the rear seat area which have snaps to hold them in place. Over the rear wooden insert in the transom cutout the cushion is about 8 inches high. Works well for me (6'4") and my wife (5'2")
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047