Galley leak?

Previous topic - Next topic

bomcq

For the most part I don't get water rising in the bilge when the boat isn't being used. However, this past season while I was on a starboard tack, I got an inch or so of salt water on the galley sole just outside the head. Then it sinks under the main cabin sole when I level off.

Though hulls seem ok. Stuffing ok. Even if the shaft leaked, wouldn't the water just trickle below the engine pan into the bilge?

It seems to be leaking from the engine compartment a couple of inches up and is starting to stain the wood.

Any ideas?

John

Ed Shankle

Since you are in RI, I assume the boat is tucked away for the winter; but when you get the boat back in the water in the spring, I'd run the engine with with the access panels off and check out the raw water loop. You could be dripping from the raw water pump or hoses, if you are sure it is salt water.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Stu Jackson

John

That area is way above the level of the bilge.  There shouldn't be any water there (OK, you know that already  :wink: ), but it "can't" be coming from the stuffing box OR the bilge because water just doesn't go uphill very well.  Also, if you take the teak and holly sole in the galley area off, you'll see a complete fiberglass pan.  

Ed's approach seems the most reasonable, that something from the level of the basic engine bed, on the sides of the engine (not the depression below the engine oil pan) is leaking out underneath the lower section of the companionway steps.

Only other thing I can think of is that your shower sump is full and was not pumped out.  If you sail on a port tack for awhile, the water comes out and runs across the galley, but you only notice it when you're back on a starboard tack.  This, however, wouldn't account for it being saltwater, unless your shower hose vented loop is blocked, your through hull is open and salt water is siphoning back into your shower sump.  Could be, but it's a long shot.

PS  Please add your hull # to your signature, so we can better help you with our answers.  Thanks.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

John,

I think Stu has given you a couple of good areas to look at.  I would add that you might want to try sailing with the plywood sole removed in the galley.  Then have someone down below poking around while sailing on both tacks.  That might give a read on where it's coming from.  Maybe the water is trapped below the plywood and thus doesn't go away changing tacks it just goes out of sight?  Just a thought...  In fact, looking back at Ed's post, if you are on the hard now it still might be worthwhile to pull up the plywood and see if it's wet under there.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

bomcq

I'm in Rhode Island, but in a slip for the winter with about 50 other boats!

I have taken up the plywood sole by the port settee and it was wet, but that's were the water in the galley sole goes after I stop.

I did have someone check it out while I was sailing and they said it seemed to be coming in from the partition in front of the engine, But there's about a 2" lip in the engine oil pan. So I don't see how that could be.

I don't use the shower, so the drain through hull is always closed.

The leak in the engine cooling system seems to be the only plausible suggestion. I'm get some help and check it out in the spring. I just thought someone may have seen something similar.

John

Stu Jackson

John

The nice part about this forum is that there's always something new.   :thumb:

Thanks for your post.  Let us know how it turns out.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Philip Imhof

Maybe it is coming from the head area seeing as your on a starboard tack!
:cry4`

Ron Hill

John : Take some folded up paper towels and place them under the engine in the center and on each side.  Then run the engine till it warms up to operating temp.  Shut the engine off and check the towels.  I'd also recommend that you look at the engine while it's running - in gear at a minimum of 2000 rpm.    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jack Hutteball

John,
I had this same problem on our 2001 model.  In my case the water was coming from the shaft.  There were no holes drilled in back of the engine pan just under the transmission that would normally allow the water to run down into the bilge.  There is a hump here so the water does not make it into the pan under the engine.  While sailing with the boat heeled this water indeed will run "uphill" as the side of the boat is now lower than the hump.  When the boat returns upright the water continues around the engine pan appearing in the head area or the floor of the aft cabin near the stove.  You need to drill two holes in the back of the pan at the bottom of the hump so the water can get through and under the engine pan to the bilge.  fixed my problem.

I thought I actually saw this fix on this website.  I made a copy of the directions for the fix if you need it, but I think I have it in the boat in the owners manual.  Plan to be on the boat Saturday to work on the shaft packing, so let me know.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

amoreau

Hi,  Jack is right.  When we bought our boat new in 2000 we had to drill a hole in the bilge forward of the transmission.  Every time we went on a hard tack we would get water in the galley.  I drilled the hole and also put in small dams on port and stbd engine compartment just for added protection.  Haven't had any water since.  Also, Catalina had to replace my sole in the main salon because of water staining from the leak.  Somewhere in the forum notes there should be a picture of the fix.  If not between Jack our I we can dig it up.   :D
Al & Candy Moreau  (Dun Wish'n) 1488 Borden light Marina

Jim Price

I think the reason the engine / transmission area does not have drainage was to prevent oil / trany fluid leaks from getting into the bilge where they could get pumped overboard.  Just my guess.  Does not mean you cannot do what you need to do to manage.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Stu Jackson

John

We need your hull #.  The newer boats have a different engine mounting configuration.  The "new hole" referred to above is covered, with a picture, in FAQs.  The older boats had a hole in the front of the depressed pan underneath the oil pan, NOT in the aft end near the transmission.  Two separate things.

bomcq

Stu,

Hull number 1448.

John