Lapping on transom

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Bain

Ok...we always wanted an aft cabin, bur dock along a river..
If there is the least amount of ripple, our boat laps all night. Being a light sleeper, I normally go to the V berth.
I have tried to think of different method from backing in to tying a board between the posts to pool noodles...
Any ideas??

Thanks....

Sleepless in Bayfield

Richie
Richard Bain
"PAZZO"
London, ON, Canada

john meyer

Do a search on the net (sailboat stern silencer) and you'll find several canvas "bras" that slip over the stern to silence the slapping.  Sailboat owners has one (http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detail.tpl?cart=1103136012394569&fno=400&group=185).  BTW, I've never used one so I'm not sure that any of them work.  Good luck.

kss1220

Dear Sleepless in Portland:

Are you sure it is lapping on the transom?  I used to be just as frustrated until I learned that it was causing the sound.  It really does sound just like it!  I discovered after trial and error that it the sound was not coming from the water lapping but the rear water tank when it was less than full.  I ended up replacing the original non-baffled plastic tank with a stainless steel tank with two baffles.  Problem solved.  Best way to test to see if the sound is coming from the tank and not the transom?  Fill the water tank to capacity and then listen.  

Good luck, KS

Richard Bain

It is from the transom / underside of boat. We have already proven that by eliminating the aft water tank. I have looked at the web site listed and may try the lapper stopper!
Thanks!
Richie
Richard Bain
"PAZZO"
London, ON, Canada

captran

I too am bothered by all the noises, whether it's water lapping at the stern, or in the water tank, or the clang of what's in the mast.  The little orange ear plugs dull the noise just enough so that I can sleep, but that if something really loud happens, I wake up.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Ray & Sandy Erps

In the summer time we see a lot of people swimming with "noodles".  At least that's what we call them.  It's like 6" diameter pipe insulation of closed cell foam about 4' or 5' long.  For a few dollars, it might be worth seeing if a person could tie some small line to both ends and tie it up against the bottom side of the hull on the transom to see if that eliminates the water slapping noise.  That water bra dealy-bob looked like it might work, but geez, it's pricey.

The noise I hate is the one that comes at Oh-dark thirty in the morning when the tide shifts and the state park mooring bouy starts banging on the bow.  After trying lots of different things we've got satisfactory results by tying off the rubber dinghy between the bow and the bouy if the water is calm.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Ray & Sandy Erps

Doh!

I see you already tried pool noodles.  Nevermind.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA