Moving Map GPS

Previous topic - Next topic

louberman

I plan on getting a moving map gps to mount by the pedestal.  I'm looking at the Garmin 182C and 172C.  Any recommendations?  Also, is the internal antenna sufficient?

Lou Berman  C34 #1366, Chesapeake Bay

Jim Price

I have an older model 176C that I bought in 2001.  Since I am on inland lake, I use the "Fishing Hot Spot" mapping software and it give me the complete info on Lake Lanier.  Exactly like an off shore program.  Unit is very reliable, usually get 6 satellites linked even under bimini.  Extremely accurate; I have course buoys added and can steer boat within a few feet of buoys using GPS.  Great for establishing a track through narrow channel with rocks during day and can drive right down the line at night with no fear.  Internal antenna is fine for me.  I mounted on pedestal using Edison mount and ran wiring back to panel.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Steve Hansen

Hello jim
I noticed this post on your installation of the Garmin 176C. For Fathers day, I received The Garmin 178C. with alittle variation, I believe they are similar in size. I was wondering which edson housing you mounted yours in. Also which pedestal guard do you have. Mine is a strait guard which is only alittle higher than the compass. Do you have one which is taller? I'm trying to figure out how to mount the darn thing without having to upgrade too much of the pedestal system right away. Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

RV61

Santa brought the Garmin 176c back several years ago and I ditto Jim's response as to the internal antenna. Steve, It came with a flat fixed surface mount that has a horizontal swivel. I purchased an Edson arm as well and mounted it to the standard straight pedestal guard and did not need housing as it snaps in and out of the surface mount then plug in in the power  and I store inside. The 176c can be used with batteries or wired to the DC system like I did. Not sure what comes with the 178.
Hope that helps
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Steve Hansen

Thanks for the reply Rick. How did you run the DC wiring, particularly on the pedestal guard? I'm thinking a hole is drilled in the guard and the wire is ran through the piping. if this is the case, any leak problems? Ours came with an external antenna, perhaps overkill but I don't feel like waiting on an exchange. Waited 2 months for this one.
Steve
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

Sailing Steve

I have the Garmin 172C with the internal antenna, and it works great even down below at the nav table.  I ordered a second data/power cable for the nav table, and drilled a hole in the pedestal and ran the supplied power data cable through a grommet.  The grommet is a snug fit and just below the autohelm cable which too runs inside the pedestal - no leak problems noted.

I'm using a Ram brand stainless mount at the pedestal, and a flat Ram double sided tape mount at the nav table.  My thinking on the external antenna is one more cable to run, and to go bad, notwithstanding I wanted to use the GPS at both locations.
Steve
'90 Mk I.5 "L'Abri"
Hull# 1080

Jim Price

Been on the road a while but quick note.  I use the "snap-in" Garmin unit and the Edison arm I believe was designated for the Gramin fittings.  Have longer cable running to transducer.  Wiring runs through grommeted hole in pedistal - no leaks.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

RV61

Steve H,
Same set up as Jim. Thru the Pedastal guard which is the and plastic grommet. No leaks.
Rick v
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie