wing keel/tall rig combo OK?

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

Looking for a new boat the question of a wing keel/tall rig combo has come up. One says not a good idea, another says the tall actually helps the winged boat point.  Another says not a problem at all, you'd never notice it for cruising. We sail in the North Channel. Any opinions? Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

Ron Hill

Kerk : We have a number of people in Fleet 12 with the tall rig and wing keel.  Haven't heard any unusual complaints.  Don't think a wing keel would help pointing - fin keel yes.
The only problem that I've heard is that a tall rig(w/wing) needs to reef earlier and that a 135% is sufficient for the Genoa.  If you race or have a hearty crew go with a 150% Genoa.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

james brener

We have a tall rig and wing keel and sail on the Chesapeake Bay.  With out having a direct comparison, I feel that I can point rather well and can move  in light air.  When we replaced the jib, on advise of the sail maker,  we reduced it to a 140% instead of the 150% OEM jib.   We do tend to reef over 18kn in order to keep the boat on its feet as we sail faster when there is less heel.  Our one reef on a tall rig seems to be slightly less sail than on a standard rig, although I have never proved that by measurement.

John Gardner

I know nothing about your conditions in the North Channel.  However, the wing keel suits the frequently shallow conditions of the Chesapeake, and the tall mast helps in the light winds which occur here, especially in high summer.  I have both.  Typically I fly my 110% in the spring and autumn, when the winds tend to be stronger, and my 150% in about July, August, September.
I find I tack through about 100 degrees, which is not particularly good.  I am still pleasantly surprised how stable the boat can be when close hauled, once I get the sails set up right, she will hold her course for minutes at a time without input from me.
John Gardner, "Seventh Heaven" 1988 #695, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.