tall or standard rig sail differently?

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

As we hone in on a couple of boats to buy we've been thinking that the tall rig may be too much sail for us (coming from a 25'). But as I begain figuring, it's only about 36 sq. ft of more sail. Does it make much difference? Do you think it would be noticeable?  Is the boom lower with a tall rig?  Or is the only difference (as suggested in an earlier forum discussion) in the price of new sails? Thanks for all your thoughts and help in this forum!  Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

John Langford

In the Pacific Northwest because of light summer winds virtually all of the locally purchased boats are tall rigs. The extra square feet of foresail are right at the bottom of the sail where it can make a difference in light winds.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Ted Pounds

It depends on the conditions you'll be sailing in.  Where there's lots of heavy air (like SF bay)  you'd be better of with a standard rig as you'd be reefing a lot anyway.  In lighter air (which I suspect you have in KY) the tall rig will be a bit faster.  Here on Lake  Michigan PHRF rating for the tall rig is 9 seconds per mile faster.  Not a lot of difference and for cruising I think you'll be happy with either one.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

kerk fisher

We'll be sailing in the North Channel of Lake Huron. Sometimes light, sometimes Heavy.  Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

Mark Wey

Kerk

We too sail the North Channel of Lake Huron as well as the open lake. I have a tall rig and am very pleased with it. I wouldn't go to a standard rig if I didn't have to. I also wouldn't let that  stop me from buying the boat if all other things were equal. I say that because I have the tall rig, and in light air it does indeed make a difference. I know people with the standard rig  and shoal draft keel who are very happy. They also think I am nuts gunkholing with a fin keel . (You have not been to the North Channel if you have not left some bottom paint on a few rocks). Yea I know. It might be off topic a bit, but I think it is a consideration. A shoal draft keel doesn't go with the tall rig in my mind. Or vice vs. You hit the nail on the head when you said you would have light and heavy winds in the North Channel. If you travel from west to east you would be very glad of a tall rig to take advantage of the prevailing winds.  Regardless it is a great boat and you can't go wrong. A can of worms maybe. Lets see what other say.

Happy Sailing

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36