Interior fabric

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Costan

I'm searching for the manufacturer of the interior fabric that Catalina uses........it's a dark navy blue with small beige "dashes" in it that create a pattern.

It's what they currently are using........does anyone know where to get it ?

I called Catalina and they won't sell just the fabric, they want to re-do all of the cushions.........and I'm having some custom foam cushions made....and I just need the fabric.

Does anyone have any ideas ??

Brad

Ron Hill

Brad : I had my cushions recovered in 2003.  I can tell you the material NOT to use as it looked worn in less than 6 months!!  The material was "Olefin" and the company was Ivan Allen Brook (804)529-5539.  I wouldn't give that company the time of day!  When I called to inquire, they wouldn't even talk to me!!
If I have the cushions redone I will probably go to the expensive no stain leatherette - sorry don't have the name handy.   :evil:
Ron, Apache #788

captran

Personally I think Catalina's response is a very poor one.  I got the same response, or no response.  They said they will sell a complete set of cushions only.  All I want is the berth cushion covers fore and aft.  I also got no response from the other Catalina forum to see if anyone knew who manufactures the material.  You would think Catalina would want the boats to have a consistent look and use original looking replacements.  But they seem to take this all or nothing to the extreme.  Shame on Catalina!
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

ross99

I have no idea what the fabric is either, but I have to say it's good stuff.  I have the same Navy upholstery in my '88 , which I bought a year ago.  One of the big pluses for the boat (esp. with the First Mate) was the remarkable shape the  cushions were in. I have noted looking at Yachtworld photos of other Catalina's for sale that they all seem to have cushions that have held up well.

paule

Have you tried Sailrite the people there are great.  My wife has bought from them and are very helpful.

Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

rappareems

Has anyone discovered who the fabric supplier is to Catalina?  Any recommendations on interior fabric.  Sunbrella is much too harsh.
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Roc

I would try going to a fabric store.  The people there should point you in the right direction as to what fabric is made for reupholstering furniture, seat cushions, etc.  The other idea is to go to someone that does furniture reupholstering and pick their brains, and get a quote to compare what they can do vs. doing it yourself.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Mike Smith

I checked with Catalina on the price of the leatherette upholstery: "The cost on the ultra leather cushions with foam is $3,546.65 salon
only. also we no longer have a beige ultra leather there is only blue,
cream and a greyish greenish color. "

Mike

Stu Jackson

Randy:

You would think Catalina would want the boats to have a consistent look and use original looking replacements. But they seem to take this all or nothing to the extreme. Shame on Catalina!

I wonder about this.  Catalina has some things they could improve on, but they sell boats, they're jut not in business to worry about how the purchasers keep them up.  Maybe the reason American motors went under was that they tried so hard to make sure  they knew the condition of the inside of the all the Gremlins they sold.   :razz:   Just kidding, but think about it, the FACTORY gets NADA from used boat sales.  Sure, it'd be great if every used C34 that was sold was as in fine a condition as, for instance, our boat was.  Doesn't always happen, but some, and maybe even most, have been.

All that goes to show is pride in boats, but I gotta tell ya I saw some real dog-lookin' C34s when we did our year long search in 1997-8.

The trick is to find the, or A, material(s) that work(s) in cabins [that you like}, and the Sailnet list is a good start.  I recollect someone looking, maybe you, but don't remember a definitive response.

Then there's the Sail-maker's approach:  find a local loft, you'll be glad you did.

Like Ron's post, the amount of attention you'll get to issues (problems?) down the line is inversely proportional to the square, cube or higher power of the distance between you and the provider.  The guy down the street from your boat's gonna hear your holler a lot sooner.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."