keel cooler good or bad?

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

We are considering a cat 34 with a keel cooler.  We are dubious.  Anyone have experiences pro or con with these?  Thanks, Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

Ron Bukowski

Kerk, I guess I'm showing my ignorance, but what is a keel cooler?
Ron Bukowski
North*Star
#1071 (1990)

kerk fisher

I hadn't heard of one either until I put in "keel cooler" into Google and searched.  Apparently it's piping that goes outside the boat that cools freon with water rather than air.   Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759

Jim Price

Sounds like more drag and one heck of a place to have damage and lose all the freon.  I personally have water cooled (via sea-cocks) for both Fridge and Marine Air.  Would hate to think that I had to haul boat to work on either of these.  Also. I paid too much for good bottom to have more stuff hanging out and slowing me down.  Just my opinion.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ken Juul

During the times most people use their boats, the water is almost always going to be colder than the air.  Also water has better heat transfer than air, so the compressor doesn't work as hard.  Dockmates had one on their old boat, wished they had it on their new one.  The radiator for lack of a better word is not mounted on the keel, it goes on the hull anywhere it will stay submerged and is convenient to mount.   As with anything in the water, need to keep it clean for it to work. I think that would be the biggest drawback for weekend cruisers.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Paul Blumenfeld

I thought about it when I installed a Adler-Barbour Cold Machine last spring with small vertical evaporator.  Also didn't like the idea of another hole in the bottom. I read that the water cooled units do well if the air temp is quite high.  It may make sense in the tropics. Since I live in So. Cal the air temp is rarely over 70 or 75 on the water and often only 65.  I've had no problem running the unit for three or four days at the islands on my 8D battery along with other house electrical use.  Box freezes water inside unit and stays about 40 farthest away from unit. Never had to use the engine to charge the battery. I do have a separate starting battery.
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

APACHE

Kerk : If you have to drill many holes below the water line, I'd think long and Hard before I did that.  Look at how many amps it takes to circulate the outside water.  Maybe, an Adler Barbour may be a simpler way to go. Do your homework and then only you can decide.   :wink:

Stu Jackson

Kerk

Seems some have made a lot of assumptions.

What's it for:  engine or fridge?

Seems most likely the engine, so you have to ask yourself the question if ti's been working and if a responsible person had installed it.

We need some more input to be able to help.  Don't think I've heard of anyone doing it.

What's the hull # and year?  Where's the boat been?

Help us to help you.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ray & Sandy Erps

I agree with Stu that one needs to know what the keel cooler is cooling.  Keel coolers are pretty common on commercial fishing boats up her in the Pacific N.W.  They take the place of the heat exchanger and allow the motor to vent their exhaust through a dry exhaust pipe rather than a wet one.  The benefit is no salt water is pumped anywhere through the engine, which keeps the motor a lot cleaner.  I'd be surprised if the keel cooler on the sail boat was to cool the engine though, because if it's anything like what I've seen on the commercial boats it would be a drag.  It requires two extra holes in the hull with a pipe mounted externally to run the engine coolant through.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Ron Hill

Guys : Some of us may have jumped to conclusions, but that is "one hell of an engine system" to cool Freon.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

kerk fisher

The keel cooler is for the frig. It's a 92, a salt water boat in Mississippi. Thanks for all the help.  Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759

kerk fisher

I should also say that we'd be sailing in the North Channel of Lake Huron.  Seems to be a pretty good boat.  it's just the keel cooler that's a concern.  A big one or not?
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759

Philip Imhof

I installed a Seafrost 12v BD system and it is great. It was easy to install and really keeps the food cold and if desired even frozen.

David Comando

This spring I installed a Frigoboat refrigeration system on Kindred Spirit. It was a great investment. The keel cooler replaced the through-hull for the salt-water faucet in the galley sink. No new hole to drill, I just made the existing one a little bigger. The plate is about 5" long, 3" wide and about 3/4" thick, tapered on both ends to reduce drag. Yes there is some drag, I don't race KS, that's what our J-22 is for! I clean KS regularly, but it had little growth when I did clean it. The unit with air cooling uses 7amps. the keel cooler 3 amps. There is nothing like going to KS on a hot summer day, and taking a cold beverage from the 39-41 degree refrigerator. Life is good! Dave
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

Paul Bosquet

:santa
You might want to read about the topic on this site.

www.e-zkold.com

Paul
Eliosso C34
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986