Aerial Shoreline Photos of Puget Sound

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray & Sandy Erps

If there is anyone else out there using "Cap'n Voyager Mosaic" charting software, this website is a pretty good resource.  The website has .jpg photographs of Puget Sound Shorelines.  "Mosaic" has a feature that allows you to put a "user mark" on your charts that refer back to a digital photograph.  I've downloaded aerial pictures of most of the bays and marinas I frequent.  If I want a bird'seye view, I just click on the little icon on the chart and up pops the picture.  "Mosaic" also allows the user to import and export these user marks.  I use this feature between my desktop and laptop for the boat.  If you have "Cap'n Voyager" and would like to give it a try I would be happy to email the database I'm using.

http://apps.ecy.wa.gov/shorephotos/
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

tstrand

I'm using Maptech's Marine Navigator, which includes similar low-altitude pictures of harbors (but only harbors). But, if I zoom in enough on any random area of a chart, the highest magnification is a high-altitude photo, which is a great tool when pulling in to a new anchorage. I think they're the same photos you can get free from terraserver:

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/

Note that if you go to Terraserver's website this is a pay service; Microsoft must be licensing it from them. More free stuff from the web!
Tim Strand
Calico #572
Santa Barbara, CA

captran

Hi Guys,
Interesting links.  I'll have to play with them a bit.  Was on the boat Sunday and Monday. Windy on Sunday, quite a chop in Guemes channel.  wish I was out there.

Have the side paneling stripped.  After a few finishing touches will be ready to varnish. Looks very nice.   dropped off the cabinets to have them rebuilt.  I know I could have done it myself but I couldn't find 2 sided teak locally.  And I couldn't see buying it from H and L and having it shipped.  They don't parcel out the pieces.  4x8 or nothing.  The master carpenter at Cap Sante says better to have a few imperfections behind the  cushion rather than replace the bulkhead with something that wouldn't match in color or grain.  Structurally says its fine, no soft spots.  So once he rebuilds the cabinets, and I have the side paneling varnished, I'll reinstall the cabinets and be done in that area.  I did install the new V berth piece.  Wow, it looks great!  better than new.

I reinstalled the instruments.  He said the ST 60's would work with my ST 50 plus wiring but would require a different cut out.  They replaced the insides and LCD screens and they look new.  There are two plastic nuts that screw down tight in back of the unit.  Only problem is that requires removal of hanging locker walls.  OK now but what if need to redo in the future.  Ended up using a silicone type glue where the screws enter the white board.  apply to both services and clamp.  Starting to look like a boat again.

Have not gotten the survey report from the surveyor that came out last Monday.  Will likely take weeks to hear back from boat US on how that survey compares to the yard estimate.  Hopefully all will be covered.

Next step will be to varnish post side wall, then install cabinets.  I can't imagine trying to do all this and get it done long distance had I left the boat in Florida!

Happy Sailing

Randy Thies
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa