Fouled Fuel

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Went across the bay this weekend, Luna Loca and a pair of brand new Hunter 36's.  Second day out, wind blowing 20-25, seas 3-6ft.  Nasty day by Chesapeake standards.  Motoring to second port, the engine dies on one of the Hunters.  CG saves the day with a tow to port.  

Upon checking the fuel system I found black slime plugging the input to the Racor and the fuel in the bowl looking more like black coffee than diesel.  Oboviously the tank/fuel system needs a cleaning.  The owner of the boat was single handing, so she elected to ride home with us and rescue her boat next weekend when she has help.  

Most of the marina's in our area service sailboat, so I don't think they pump enough volume to keep their supplies clean.  I buy mine at a truck stop and fill myself.  Still I think I need to start adding additives for other than winter storage.  What's the best?  AlgaeX, K100, any of the brands at WM/BUS?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Ken

I've been using Bio Bor Fuel Treatment and Starbrite diesel water zorb for the past six and a half years with no problems.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Ken : I've used Biobor Jr for 17yrs and am satisfied.  I prefer the MDR products such as WaterZorb and Sludge & Slime Remover as they are alcohol free.  I also have an AlgaeX for about 8 years.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788