Slippery non skid

Previous topic - Next topic

abelovarac

Over the last couple years my non skid decking in the cockpit is anything but under dry conditions.  When she's heeling over, myself and crew slide to leeward like we're on ice.  Even with new deck shoes. When it's wet, the shoes grip fine.  I have never applied anything to it, though when I scrub it down I use Barkeepers Friend cleanser.  Anyone else have this problem, and if so, any recommended solutions?

scgunner

ableovarac,

I have a set of teak cockpit grates that work quite well for providing purchase when heeling. I don't know if they still do, but Catalina used to sell them aftermarket or you can have a set custom made. Or, like I did you can make your own, if you're fairly handy and have a few basic woodworking tools it's not that difficult although it is involved. Also doing it yourself you'll save quite a bit of money and they look grate(pun intended).
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

Ease your traveller. :abd:
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

scgunner

C'mon Noah, you know sometimes it's a blast to just bury the rail.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

waughoo

Quote from: scgunner on June 23, 2021, 08:18:51 AM
C'mon Noah, you know sometimes it's a blast to just bury the rail.

Got to check for leaks at the hull deck joint every once and a while :-)
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Guys : In the 30+ years with a 150% (laminate cloth) Genoa w full Main,  I have never been able (even with an elliptical wing rudder) bury the rail on #788 standard rig  C34!!!  And I've been caught in all kinds of weather!!  Close, but NOT under.

Not even close with the original wing rudder because the boat will head up into the wind!!!

My thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron, chill, baby.  I think they were kidding.   :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Stu :  Many times I never know if some of the posts are really serious or not ???   Thanks !!
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

QuoteOver the last couple years my non skid decking in the cockpit is anything but under dry conditions.  When she's heeling over, myself and crew slide to leeward like we're on ice.  Even with new deck shoes. When it's wet, the shoes grip fine.  I have never applied anything to it, though when I scrub it down I use Barkeepers Friend cleanser.  Anyone else have this problem, and if so, any recommended solutions?

I don't have that problem so this is just a wild guess.   I would try some ammonia on the cockpit floor.  Use care ammonia will strip wax, keep it off anything you want shiny.  Or possibly drideck

https://www.amazon.com/Dri-Dek-Marine-Surface-Interlocking-Compartment/dp/B01HOXG464/ref=asc_df_B01HOXG464?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80195681205796&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583795269758067&psc=1

Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scgunner

Ron,

While I was being a bit tongue in cheek I have on more than one occasion buried the rail, conditions have to be right of course. Maybe because I'm running a bigger headsail, a 155 decksweeper.

While it is a lot of fun because it seems like you're going 60mph, it's not a very efficient way to sail because your wind profile is shorter and at that angle of heel you're bleeding a lot of air off the top of the sail and losing that drive, but it is exciting.