Oberdorfer Raw water pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Thx fof the "heads-up" on the Stay Cool" impellers.  I haven't used it yet as I had purchased it for my emergency spare parts kit. So, it will now be delegated as my impeller of last resort.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on May 25, 2021, 08:45:24 PM
Thx fof the "heads-up" on the Stay Cool" impellers.  I haven't used it yet as I had purchase it for my emergency spare parts kit. So, it will now be delegated as my impeller of last resort.

SOMEONE needs to watch your back, it might as well be me. :thumb:
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

David Comando

Thanks again for all the input. Hopefully problem solved. Now on to the next project...and go sailing!
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

David Comando

The plot thickens...I got the pump working, but the engine was running hot. I removed the upgraded 3 inch heat exchanger, installed 6+ years ago. Blockage was the issue. Boiled it out, I now have great water flow, and an engine that doesn't overheat and maintains a constant 158 degrees. Just in time for a Father's Day sail.
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

Ed Shankle

As a reminder to all, if your water flow begins to slow and temp creeps up, before pulling the HX and bringing it somewhere to boil out, pull the raw water hose going into the HX and inspect inside the HX nipple. You may find a mineral blockage that you can break up with a screwdriver. It will get you back in business faster. Had to do that yesterday after I noticed slow flow, even though temp was still ok.

Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ed Shankle on June 21, 2021, 03:43:08 AM

You may find a mineral blockage that you can break up with a screwdriver. It will get you back in business faster. Had to do that yesterday after I noticed slow flow, even though temp was still ok.

Regards,
Ed

If that happens to anyone regularly/often, you might do a stove-top test to verify that the Tstat is opening correctly and also make sure you are running the 160F and not the 180F TStat.

I don't know why but salt deposits at the Hx inlet and water injection wye seems to be more of an issue on the 34 (Actually, I haven't heard of any of our 30 folks experiencing that.)  Maybe the engine is working harder and the whole system runs hotter (more constant/hotter coolant flow to the Hx)?  DUNNO.  :donno:     
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

Guys : I've used Lime-A-Way in the intake to the HX every year and let it set for 20? minutes.  It has kept the minerals from building up. 

Do NOT use C.L.E.A.R. - as it's not friendly to copper!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

Is that something you put in through the strainrr or actually remove the delivery hose to the exchanger and pour it in?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

Ron Hill

Guys : All I do is disconnect the output line from the Raw water pump.  Then lift it up higher than the Heat Exchange.  Put a small funnel in that line and pour in Lime-A-way.  I pour in enough that I'm sure that it had pretty well filled the HX and let it set for 10-15 minutes.  Then if I have time I blow into that line and empty the HX and fill it again.

I've found that the Lime-A-way get rid of all of the calcium scale!  Easier than disconnecting the HX and having it boiled out!  :clap

A thought
Ron, Apache #788