stern running light

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Heyman

I had noticed that the stern light was not functioning while the bow unit was ok. I opened the panel in the cabin and checked the connections and all seemed ok. There was an in-line fuse on a very thin white wire that I can't identify or easily trace. I checked the fuse and it was blown. Upon replacement the rear running light worked. The fuse was tiny, short, and about the size of the fuse in a voltmeter. (I used my voltmeter fuse as a temporary replacement but could not read the amps (bad eyes)). This seemed to be an unusual way to wire the running light and did not seem to jibe with the schematic in the manual. I would appreciate someone shedding some 'light' on the issue. Thanks in advance,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ron Hill

Ken : I can't even guess why there would be a separate small fuse wired into the stern light circuit???  Done by a previous owner?, but why? 
Sorry, I can't help.   :?:
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Heyman

Thanks Ron,

I'll investigate this week-end a bit more thourghly. It may have been a coincidence in that I introduced two variables into my diagnostics. I checked the connections and may have jarred a bad one at the running light switch and I also  "re fused". I'll remove the fuse and see the impact just for good measure. The fuse may be related to a long since removed PO  radio which would explain the thin diameter wire. Thanks for your interest.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

But if that's the case, the radio would only work when the running lights were on????? maybe he had special music for sailing at night!   :D
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net