ST 4000 Autohelm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

An interesting weekend.  I was having beginning to have problems with the autopilot not releasing all the time.  Quick search turned up the problem of the sheared rolled pin.  The pins are getting hard to find!  Finally found a repair shop that knew what I was talking about and ordered them.  $15 for 6!  Got to the boat, didn't bring my gear puller.  Thinking that since the steering wheel nut was only hand tight the wheel would easily come off.  Wrong.  Another project for next week.  Despite the cramped conditions, decided to replace the pin anyway.  It came out easily in about 3 pieces.  Getting the new one in proved to be another story.  After cleaning everything up, started trying to drive the new pins in.  Even though they are stainless they bend/deform very easily.  Finally on the third try got it in.  Everything seems to work much better!  Will give it a try next weekend.  

Lesson learned.  Make sure you have plenty of spare pins.  You probably won't get the first couple in.  

An oh by the way, reading the on line owners manual (since most of mine was lost by the PO) I found that they recommend that the belt/drive unit be hosed regularly with fresh water to prevent salt build up that may cause binding problems.  Something else to add to my post cruise checklist!
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ken Heyman

Ken,

Could you post the phone number for the "purveyor of pins".
Thanks in advance,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ken Juul

I got mine from KWC Electronics 515 Bridge St, Hampton, VA 23664.  757 723 1304.  He had to get them from Raymarine.  

It might be easier to go to the Raymarine web page, customer support, find a dealer.  Put in your zip code and it will give you a list.  I would look for an older established firm.  They may have some on hand.  You can also do a search on this site.  One thread had a store in Seattle that sold them for a buck each, not sure if they still stock them.  I was in a hurry to get it fixed, didn't want to wait on the mail.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

mike lofstrom

Ken:  I had the same problem with my autopilot last year when I bought my boat.  Mine had seized to the point that the clutch lever had cracked.  I got the parts directly from Raymarine.  I called the tech support line, and they took the order over the phone.  They had the parts Fed-Ex'ed to my door the next day.  I was really impressed by their customer service.  

Incidentally, the two halves of the drive unit can be popped apart quite easily when the wheel is removed from the pedestal.  It is a good idea to inspect the belt every few years, and give the internals a good rinse.  While you're in there, check to make sure all of the rollers turn freely.  If they don't, they are also very easy to remove, clean, and replace.  This can make a world of difference in the performance of the drive unit.

Randy and Mary Davison

The store in Seattle that carries the pins is the Offshore Store at 3400 Stone Way N  206-632-3025. They've had them in stock every time I've needed them.

After replacing 6 or 7 pins, I decided to shotgun the problem and replaced the rollers, roller shaft and belt.  Only time will tell if this completely solves the problem.  The autopilot is now quite a bit easier to engage and I suspect that a stiff old belt combined with worn rollers added enough additional load to cause the pins to fail in shear.  The Offshore Store also carries the roller kit and belts.

It's my opinion that the pin design is a bit marginal to start with.  I found out on vacation a few years ago that the shear forces on that pin are so high that only a drill bit would serve as a temporary pin.  Everything else including single roll roll pins sheared off immediately.
Randy Davison
Gorbash
MK1 #1268
k7voe