water in the reefer

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulvio

Over the last several months, I was annoyed by a continuous buildup of water on the bottom of the reefer.  At first I attributed it to condensation.  I live aboard, so it's always on, but recently I had to take the battery charger to the manufacturer, so I emptied the reefer and turned it off.  That's when I realized that the water was coming from the galley drain (and thus I also figured out why the water was so murky :().  Sure enough, I took the backflow valve out, tested it, and it wasn't blocking backflow anymore.  I bought a new one, and I'll install it today.
But now my question is:  shouldn't the foot pump be blocking backflow, too?  (Of course, the valve is there for a reason, and if it's broken, that certainly doesn't help.)

BTW, the Shurflo valve I had does not seem to be available anymore (part #140), so I got part #340 instead, which looks completely different, but should do the job.

Ken Juul

I had the same problem.  Talking with the parts guy, he thought a new valve might last 3-4 years.  I don't remember the price he quoted me, but I thought it was way out of line.  Found one at Lowes in the well department that fit right in.  It was under $10 for the valve and hose nipples.  Sure makes a difference in the bottom of the refer.  :)
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Fulvio

If you haven't already, I suggest you check out the Projects section on the website, Ice Box & Galley Drain.  I contributed a shutoff valve article that addresses your question.  It's only one of a number of ways to do this but it works for us.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."