New Tachometer

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Beecham

Does anybody have the name and location of the manufacturer/distributor of a replacement tach for a 1999 C34 MK II.  The rpm portion of the tach stopped working, the engine hours portion seems to be ok.  I checked the dc and ac voltages present at the tach and they seem to be good.  I guess I need a replacement.

Dick Beecham

Brad "Captivated" #1285

I recently had the same problem on my 1994. The engine hours continued to register but the tachometer did not work. I inspected all the wires at the gauges as well as at the alternator.
I removed the alternator and had it rebuilt. That corrected the problem.

rxc

My hour meter died several years ago, while the tach portion continued to work.  I took it apart, and could not find anything obviously wrong (bad connection/lead, burnt component, etc), so I bought a new tach/hour meter from the Seaward people, who make the instrument panels.   They are not cheap ($125 or so).  I think their phone number is available somewhere else on this site. An alternative for me would have been to install a separate hour meter, but I didn't want to cut another hole in the panel. New tachs without hour meters are available thru WM, BOATUS, and Defender at reasonable prices.  The combination for diesel engines does not seem to be widely available and is expensive

Ralph Caruso
s/v "On y va"  C34#777 Ches.Bay/Magothy