VHF RADIOS

Previous topic - Next topic

amoreau

Hi everyone,  A question for the ones in the know.  Is it possible to put two vhf hard mount radios on one mast installed antenna cable?  I haven't seen any two way connectors so I wasn't sure.
Al & Candy Moreau  (Dun Wish'n) 1488 Borden light Marina

Ron Bukowski

It is possible to attach two VHF radios to a single antenna, however, a switch must be installed in the antenna line so that only one of them is connected at a time. This is so that the transmitting radio doesn't apply full output power to the other radio on the line. An automatic switch is made for this purpose so that one doesn't have to remember to throw the switch to the intended radio. (One moment of forgetfullness and at least one of the radios is finished.) The switch senses the RF energy and instantly switches over. I don't know if WM would have these switches or perhaps they would be available at a Radio Shack store.

Ron
Ron Bukowski
North*Star
#1071 (1990)

Ron Hill

Just as Ron said "you sure can", but heed his instructions and install a switch to route the signal from one to the other.  I have one VHF mounted above the Nav table below and one in the cockpit.  There's a slide switch between the two.  Much easier to take calls and HEAR when at the wheel with the cockpit VHF.  
You can also purchase a RAM and use one VHF, but it's nice to have the redundancy of 2 radios for almost the same $$.[/b]
Ron, Apache #788

amoreau

Thanks for the info.....I will look for the switch at radio shack first.

Ron Hill

Am. : I wouldn't do that - "go to Radio Shack" !!!!  All coax cable connectors are NOT the same.  
TV coax is 75 ohm and VHF radio is 50 ohm.  Use any TV connector on your VHF coax wire and you'll have an impedance mismatch!!!!!!!!
Get your switch at a marine store and make sure it's 50 ohm.
A thought.   :roll:
Ron, Apache #788

amoreau

OK,   I'll take your advice..........thanks,    Al & Candy

Ken Juul

To get VHF to the cockpit I monitor the cabin mounted radio on a remote speaker.  I also keep a handheld in the cockpit for times when I can't go into the cabin to use the radio.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

amoreau

Hi,  Just as a follow-up I found the switch at Defender.com.  The switch allows you to hook up two vhf radios to one antenna.  It also allows both radios to recieve at the same time but only one can send thru the primary antenna.  It does come with a small antenna built into the switch which may allow sending on the secondary radio.  The part is made by Gold line Inc.  Part #1165 for about $39.00.

Ron Hill

Am : My "downstairs" radio has a speaker below as well as one in the cockpit.  You won't be able to receive any distant station if the switch isn't flipped to that radio.  
Once you have your cockpit radio install you'll probably be like me - I have 2 handheld VHFs that I never use.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788