Thru hull lubrication

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Hutteball

I will be pulling our boat for  new bottom paint this weekend.  I have heard that this is a good time to lubricate the thru hulls from the outside.  What should I use and how easy is it to get it up in there?  Going to install that zinc on the strut at the same time.
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Randy Stolze

Jack,

I use waterprof grease such as boat trailer axle bearing grease. An "acid brush" which has a metal handle and is about a half inch wide works perfect. I found both at the local Home Depot. While you are slapping the grease around you may want to try coating your prop. Won't hurt, and it is proported to help retard growth.

Regards!

Randy
Randy

Jim Price

I used Lanacote and long cotton swabs on seacocks last week while Lady Di was out.  Open & Close very smoothly now.  Not worried about Lanacote washing off and clogging my filters.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ron Hill

Jack : Listen to Randy (he read my Mainsheet article).  You should lube with the waterproof/resistant grease from below as well as the top.  Close the thru hull and brush grease from the outside and then remove the hose and grease it from the top.  Then work each thru hull 6 or 7 times.  Replace the hose and clamps and you'll be good to go for another year.
Ron, Apache #788

Jack Hutteball

Thanks Ron, I knew I had seen that somewhere.
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington