Racing Upgrade

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

I want to get back into PHRF non-spin racing this fall and I need advice on replacement outboard Genoa blocks. The existing blocks are original Garhauer - I'll be using the new blocks for off/down wind sailing with a line control whisker pole. The Garhauer price is hard to beat - any advice would be appreciated.

Mike

Ted Pounds

Mike,

The Gehauer adjustable lead blocks are definitly the way to go.  You're right you can't beat the price and I think the quality is the best at any price.  As Ron advised me in a post a while back if you have the recessed track you have to remove the aft three track bolts and lift the aft end of the track to get the new cars on.  A little hassle, but well worth it.  (on the plus side - no one will be able to steal your nice, new cars :lol:.)
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Mike

Hmmm, was wondering when someone would get around to divulging their racing speed secrets...

Many of the racers I know do NOT have the "captive triangle" end fitting at the aft end of their tracks.

The reason many have to lift the last three bolts to install new hardware on the tracks is this end fitting "stopper."

I made the mistake, 5+ years ago, to install the new midships cleats, but PUT BACK THE STOPPER.  Dumb...  I would have been better off leaving it off and filling the hole with epoxy.

Yup, three bolts it is, unless you don't have the end fitting.

You just CAN'T go wrong with Garhauer.  I've replaced my mainsheet blocks, new organizer sheaves, backstay adjuster and backstay vang, dinghy motor lift and a few other things I've forgotten, with their gear.

What can't you like about:

-  best looking

-  very good performance, excellent

-  most cost effective (not cheap, but superior value)

Good luck in your new venture (racing is fun and the people are great)

Enjoy,

PS  do a search (new "Find") on this forum under Dave Davis - much info given away to share already (unless I know you and you already have  :D  !!!)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

Mike,

Harken cars work great.  You'll have to check their website for specifics (know that the model number is 19XX, but don't recall the last two digits).  Very easy to adjust.  Race frequently and found that even when cars are "cockpit" adjustable, this isn't really practical unless the purchase on the system is substantial.  Therefore, manually adjusted Harken cars are a great compromise.  

I keep stock Garhauer cars on the tracks aft of the Harkens as well to fair the lines.

Can't be Garhauer for price, though.

Cheers,

Vac

Ted Pounds

My Garhauer  lead blocks are very cockpit adjustable.  Only in reefing weather does it take some effort to move them forward.  And in those conditions you want them aft anyway.  

Stu,  I'm not sure why you say without the end stopper you don't have to lift the track.  I don't have the stoppers and I still had to lift my recessed track because there's not enough room aft of the track to accomidate the longer adjustable cars.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Mike Smith

Thanks for the info on the inboard track genoa blocks, but I'm interested in outboard track blocks for downwind sailing with a whisker pole. I use both original blocks on the inboard track now - one all the way to the rear to fair the geona sheet lead from the winch - so I need blocks for the outboard track. I'm not interested in the adjustable inboard system, since I have a curved inboard track and I've heard of problems moving the car forward under load.  I think I'll order two cheek blocks and mount them on teak pads so the sheet clears the cockpit coaming coming from the winch and two wide sheave blocks for the outboard track. That should do the trick!

Mike

Ron Hill

The older C34's have a recessed inboard Genoa track (1986 - 1991?).  Catalina did NOT install an aft stop on the track.  Maybe a PO did?   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Smith

Ron -

There is no aft stop on any of Breezer's tracks, but I will install them after I buy the new blocks. Checked out my whisker pole yesterday and the %$#@!! inboard piston is seized. Amazing what can happen with just a few months of neglect. Oh, well, looks like time to have it refurbished - the Garhauer cheek block on it says "Garunteed until 1999"!

Mike

Ron Hill

Mike : I got rid of my aft stops as unnecessary after I installed the Garhauer (Ball Bearing) movable Genoa car system.  
Make sure that your new "cheek" (turning) blocks are also ball bearing like the ones I got from Garhauer.
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Smith

Ron -

Yep, I'm going with the open style ball bearing blocks for everything from now on. By cheek block, I mean a turning block mounted on the outside of the cockpit coaming, which creates a fair lead from the winch into the genoa block(s) on both inboard and outboard tracks. I've been considering this addition for some time, but it was interrupted by my little medical issue last spring!

Mike