leaking accumulator tank

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulvio

I have a Jabsco PAR accumulator tank (model 30573-0000) installed in my fresh water system.  It leaks quite a bit from the center flange, where the two shell halves are screwed together.  In fact, I believe most of the water in my bilge comes from this leak.  I left the pressure pump off for a couple of weeks, and the bilge pump hardly ever cycled.

So I took it apart, and it looks almost like new.  No visible problem.  The only funny thing is that there is no gasket at all.  I called ITT Jabsco, and they told me that's OK, there isn't even a part # for the gasket, I just have to buy a new one.

I don't know exactly how old it is, but I guess at least 5 years.  I think it's a fairly cheap replacement, still I was wondering if anyone has ever had the same problem, and found a better solution for it.

Fulvio
Soliton, 929, Seattle

sailor2mon

The tanks do spring leaks eventually. I considered replacing mine with a metal cylinder and may do that next time. You can buy the replacement plastic ones at Boat U.S. or West Marine..about 30$

Stu Jackson

Perhaps you may want to consider Don Casey's idea:  it is a piece of PVC white pipe with a cap.  No inflation necessary.  Comes from his "This Old Boat" book.  The small buffer necessary to keep the pump from running all the time is provided by the PVC pipe.  Lots less expensive than $30. Just "T" the PVC pipe into the outlet of the pump to the faucets.

The other alternative is to let the pump go when it needs to, with no accumulator.  If the pump  wakes anyone up at night, then it's time to add the accumulator, whatever variety comes in handy.

The basic question that I need your help and input:  why do we need this added thingy?  Is the running pump that annoying?  Or is the concern about the continuing "stress" on the pump pressure sensor?

Stu

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Fulvio

You say: . "I left the pressure pump off for a couple of weeks."

Why did you leave it on to begin with?

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fulvio

Mike Smith

I am installing a PAR accumulator to cut down on the water pressure pump noise (which is loud!).  Where is yours installed?

Fulvio

Mine is installed just forward of the two fresh water valves, against the wooden board that the starboard water tank rests against.  It's out of the way, but fairly easy to reach (except I seem to drop a couple screws everytime I install it/take it off  :mad:).

To answer a previous question:  it came with the boat when I bought it, so I haven't really given much thought about just doing without it.  I know you can live without it, but it seems to make life for the pressure pump a little easier.

Mike Smith

Thanks!  That is where I intend to put mine - it is installed between the pump and any outlet, right?

Fulvio

Take the pump output straight into the accumulator.