Rule 2000 pump failure

Previous topic - Next topic

Chouse

Hello list,
I have just gone through my fourth bilge pump in two years. I have no idea why this is happening but for some reason I seem to completely destroy these pumps. I keep a dry bilge and a clean float switch so it is not overuse. In fact, this last one I do not think ever pumped water (or spun outside of testing) and it only lasted two months. I suspect that the pump housing is just not strong enough for the weight of the unit. The first one Catalina replaced for me on warranty but the last three were on my dime. Fortunately, I purchased the replacement guarantee from Boat US on the last one. The units appear to just fracture around the base. The strainer generally crumbles to bits and then it leaks blue oil into the bilge.

Has anyone had trouble with these pumps?

Is there any recommendations for an alternative brand or solution?

Thank you,
Corbett

DEMERY

I'm still using the original Jabsco bildge pump on my 1990 34. I'm not a big Jabsco fan, but there pumps (macerator, shower sump, bildge, etc) apear to last. My be worth investigating.

Chouse

Would you mind telling me how you have yours mounted?

Is it mounted directly to the fiberglass sump floor or do you have a piece of wood?

I spent some time pondering the problem and what I think is happening id the lower straner fractures. Then the pump begins to move when under sail. This movement is what causes the housing to split in half.

So my problem may be the way the strainer is mounted.

Thanks.

DEMERY

My pump is screwed directly to bildge floor. With that said, the shape and size of the pump based on manufacture and capacity might put stress points at different places, etc.

Chouse

As it turns out the Jabsco and the Rule pumps are essentially the same. This leads me to believe that the problem must be with my setup (or Catalinas). I am thinking another possible issue with my installation is that the exhaust hose for my pump is not secured for a significant length. This combined with the regular beating my boat is taking might just be enough to crack the strainer.

Sorry for thinking out loud (so to speak) but this has been kind of frustrating.
Thanks
Corb

Ron Hill

Corb : You didn't say how many points on the mount that you used to secure the pump to the bilge floor.  You might have a "hump" in the floor and using multiple screws is cracking the housing.  
I'd think that one or two screws should be able to to secure the pump.
Ron, Apache #788

Chouse

Thanks,
I used four screws. This is something I considered but the surface is very flat. Perhaps it is an undetectable hump. I think I am going to mount the next one on a piece of lexan to eliminate this variable. I also plan on securing the hose as well.

Thanks,
Corbett