Solid or balsa core near chainplates

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hello,
Does anyone know if the deck area where the chainplates are mounted is solid fiberglass or is it cored??  Reason I ask is I am rebedding them and want to know if I should grind out the core in that area and put epoxy in it's place so no future water can migrate into the deck.  Just want to prepare my supply list.

Thanks,
Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Roc

It doesn't matter, if that's your concern.  Figure the worst case, because if  it's "solid" it can still have moisture in it.  BTW, it's cored.  I reread your post and there is no fiberglas around the chainplates, only the deck, so I assumed you meant balsa cored or hard solid wood.

Also guess you've already read all the references on Chainplates and Rebedding from the Search.  :)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Roc : I believe your boat has a plywood core (rather than a balsa core like some of the newer Catalinas).
I'm not too sure how you would "cut out" around the chain plate holes, but that wouldn't be a bad idea to refill with epoxy.  You'd have to remove the shrouds, remove the thru deck extensions from below and then with an empty hole - fill the with epoxy.  Re drill/cut, reinstall everything and them caulk and you'll be be good to go.
I finally just caulked mine under tension, let it dry/cure a few (3 or4) days and I haven't had a leak in 15 years.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788