Lost Battens!

Previous topic - Next topic

agbenoit

Hello,

Early in an amazing 80 mile sail yesterday from Gloucester, MA, to Cuttyhunk, we had a snag while trying to furl the jib.  The wind had built to 35 kts and was holding there.  The jib got wrapped halfway in.  With extreme luck and a drop in the wind, we managed to clear the snag.  Meanwhile, we had dropped the main amidst serious flapping.

Later in the day we put the main back up after motoring through the Cape Cod Canal.  I noticed that four of my (full) battens were gone.  I never even saw them fall out!

The main difference in the sail seems to be that it doesn't drop smartly into the lazyjacks.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I should replace the battens?  They were fiberglass.

Thanks,

Mike Smith

Tony -

Any sailmaker has replacement battens. Usually, there is a velcro flap at the outboard end of the batten pocket that folds over and secures the batten in the pocket.  Or, there is a cringle in the sail at that point with corresponding ties at the end of the batten which you use to secure the batten in the batten pocket. Either way, the batten needs to be secured, or it will take a flyer. Been there.

Mike

Ed Shankle

Tony,
If you are from the North Shore area, Doyle Sails in Marblehead can help you. I got a batten there before.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

John Gardner

Tony,
It depends on the sail and who made it.  Another common method of retaining the batten that is used on my sail is to push the batten into the pocket against an elastic "stirrup" at the inner end of the pocket and allow it to spring back into a fold at the edge of the seam.
Sail battens may be tapered towards the leach.
My sail has a short batten top and bottom, and longer ones in the middle pockets - i.e. just two lengths.  The width if my memory serves me well, is 1 and 5/16 inch. You will need to measure your sail to see what you have.  West Marine holds a limited stock of pre-cut battens (they'll probably special order for you too), and some of the better chandlers will cut them to length while you wait.  Otherwise, as suggested, a sailmaker will be able to help you.
John Gardner, "Seventh Heaven" 1988 #695, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.