100 amp alternator. Does that mean it charges 100 amps in an

Previous topic - Next topic

jentine

I am sorry that you paid so much for your solar/wind generation system.  Two Kyoceria solar panels and a charge regulator are only $1050 (the same cost as a Honda EU2000 generator).  The major difference is that the solar panels will run for 25 years without fuel or maintenace, do not viberate (all internal combustion engines vibrate) or annoy the surrounding boats (Honda gives the decibal rating at 1/4 load and idle, but not full load).

Mounting on top of the dodger, bimini, or davits keep the panels from under foot.  Mounts are commercially available to mount the panels on the life lines.  They hang vertically until deployed and they are raised to a horizontal position to take full effect of the sun.

Jim Kane
p.s. look  at the below for prices and information
www.solar-electric.com

jentine

http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products/mounts/boatkits.html
Look at this site for mounting ideas and equipment.  Free energy is not a bad thing.
Jim Kane

bob

Paul
I totally agree with you reply, is there a reason why you do not mount the generator permantly in front of the mast with chokes and cover? I just bought this unit based on your experience and plan on just mounting it in front of the mast and use it when needed!
Bob

PAUL T.

Bob.... Thanks for the reply. The reason that I don't permenently mount the generator is because I am not away from shore power enough to justify it. Also I use my generator when I go camping in my travel trailor. The generator could also be used at home to keep the refridgerator going during a power outage. Also I would not want to expose the gen. to the weather and waves crashing over the bow even if it was covered. Especialy since the gen. is so light and easy to move. Hope this helps.....PAUL

PAUL T.

Bob... One more thing I forgot to mention. Electronics don't last very long when exposed to a wet marine environment, if you do decide to mount your gen. outside, I hope you can find a cover that is totally waterproof..... PAUL

Mike Smith

To Paul T and Bob and anyone else who has, or is contemplating getting, a gasoline powered generator or any other piece of gasoline powered equipment for your boat: immediately purchase several carbon monoxide (CO) detectors and place them in each compartment, including the head. Test them frequently. CO is a common product of gasoline combustion (exhaust); is odorless and colorless and will kill you dead in a very short period of time.  It is also heavier than air, so guess where it will go if you mount the generator on deck in front of the mast?  Yep, right down any opening in your boat. Seaworthy ran an article several months ago on the dangers of CO and I'll try to find that issue for circulation. One example I remember: A delivery skipper was motoring a gas powered boat to his destination and went below to take a shower. Crew found him 20 minutes later dead of CO poisening.  I'll get off my soapbox now, we would hate to lose any of you guys; the stuff is deadly.

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

sailingdolphin

Mike and anyone with some comments

I found a 3400 watt propane or gas portable generator. It would fit and could be mounted inside the stern lazeratte on the starboard quarter.
It has an exhaust kit, since it is designed for RV's, my idea was to run the exhaust tube from the generator thru the starboard clamshell vent. Where the generator would be mounted to the vent is only a distance of about two feet.

I would definitely intall a co2 detector.

Do you think it is safe?
Do you think the propane is safer than the gas?

sailingdolphin

Error corrections:

Carbon Monoxide. not co2

spelling= install.

#71 no name

Stu Jackson

Doug,

In following this thread, I'm trying to understand just what it is you are trying to do.  And I'm still not sure.

Is what you are after hot water?

It sure seems an expensive way to get there.

You may want to consider using the boat for awhile and getting the hang of it before investing in any new systems.

In addition, this month's issue of Good Old Boat has two amusing stories of how cruisers manage to take hot showers without the expense and complication of generators, etc.  If you don't subscribe to the magazine, you should be able to pick it up at a marine store near you, or at least just read the articles.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Peter

You asked some questions above about batteries.  Here's a link to a previous post that may help you out.

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=502600911&r=602600911#602600911

You wrote: "My concern is cruising for a week or two, keeping the fridge on, and minimizing the cabin lights, moving with the engine/sail about every three days. I have the two batteries that "Snow Goose" came with new in 2001; no other backup. I run the engine on both batteries, and when done with the engine, alternate batteries each day."

What you really need to do is install a separate starting battery.  Jon Arck did so recently on his #1346, and then go the benefit of the two big batteries as a house bank.  Your very best answer to your concern is to MAXIMIZE your house bank, which will give you more time on the hook without having to recharge.

I also assume that you have done an energy budget, and know what your load is on a daily basis for your cruise?

Also, unless you've installed a newer alternator and a smart regulator, your stock alternator will not put much out.  Calder's book is very helpful (Boatowner's Manual).

Jim described where he put his panels, and many others have done the same.  Check out Projects.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

PAUL T.

Mike, Your point is well taken on the hazards of carbon monoxide, however please take note that CO is lighter than air. Thats why you don't mount CO detectors near the floor. If you keep your boat well ventilated you should be reasonably safe. I do think CO detectors are a good idea, just in case..... PAUL

Mike Smith

Paul -

Correction noted, CO is lighter than air.  However, the accompanying USCG link illustrates how it can accumulate on your boat and does not dissipate quickly.

http://www.uscgboating.org/co/accumulate.htm

Be Safe,
Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

BillR

Question to everyone.  My C34, a 1989 model, has the original Alternator.  I replaced the Battery Charger this year and re-wired everything to heavier cable.  The discussion here is on replacement of the Alternator, however, if you had you choice, which would you do, replace the Alternator or add solar panels?  I'm in Houston so I get all the sun I can handle.

Stu Jackson

IT'S NOT REALLY A CHOICE

Bill R wrote: "however, if you had you choice, which would you do, replace the Alternator or add solar panels? "

I just don't believe it works that way.  It really all depends on how you want to use your boat, and how you actually DO use it.

If you just daysail, and use shorepower, you need neither upgrade.

If you like hot water, want to be offshore (or on the hook for extended periods), then the alternator would be be a good choice.

The solar system is quiet, and keeps you on the hook and totally non dependent on either shorepower OR engines.  But it DOESN'T get you the hot water.

Sure, we could take a vote, but it wouldn't matter.

The KEY thing that many do not still understand: MAXIMIZE your house bank capaity; your batteries will live longer, and you stays away will be more enjoyable.  

So, DO YOUR HOMEWORK and do an energy budget, and/or get an amp meter, so you know what's going in and out.

Stu
PS  as for me, we still have the original alternator (although we have an AutoMac), and we have a small solar panel which keeps up with some stuff, so we never leave the boat plugged into shorepower when we're not aboard.  315 ah in house bank with separate start battery.

pklein

Donna & Doug,
The first thing I would check is to see if you have the old original ferro resonant battery charger (Black case).  If so, get rid of it.  It's one of the major power problems.  Get a new solid state battery charger with a monitor panel. I changed out my charger 4 years ago and have never had a problem since.

Phill Klein
Andiamo #977
Montrose Harbor - Chicago