Transmission question

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Krawford

I know this subject has been covered before but I can't find it anywhere.
My transmission takes 5-10 seconds to engage when shifting from neutral to forward.  I thought I read where the plates in the transmission can become glazed and cause this.  
Can someone point me to the reference on how to fix this?
Thanks.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

Ken Krawford

Ron,
 If I remember correctly, the procedure that I read about involves draining the fluid, doing a couple of flushes with kerosene or diesel and then refilling.
I'll certainly try your 2 suggestions first.
Thanks for the help.
Ken Krawford

Ken Krawford

I tried adjusting the threaded rod on the end of the transmission cable but it won't go any further.  A "mechanic" looked at it and said that the cable was probably stretched and needed replacement.  This seemed plausible since every other adjustment still wouldn't allow the transmission to engage in Forward.  I tried moving the shift lever on the transmission without the cable attached and it engages fine.
Has anyone replaced a shift or throttle cable?  Any suggestions?  Can only the cable be changed without replacing the jacket?
Thanks.
Ken Krawford

Mike Smith

Ken -

I'm assuming you have a Hurth hydraulic transmission. I'm no expert, but I think low hydraulic fluid could cause the delay in engaging to forward. I had an old Toyota that did that. Have you checked the fluid level?

Mike