Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

I am considering installing Carbon Monoxide detector(s)in my boat.  Does anyone have any experience, recommendations, or advice on this topic?

Ken Juul

Several years ago I considered one for the garage because I use a kerosene heater in the winter.  Consumer Report said to stay away from First Alert.  Quality was so poor, they considered them more dangereous than helpful.  Not really being overwhelmed by what I read I opted to just crack a window.  Things may have changed, haven't read anything recently.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

rxc

I installed one on On y va last spring when my wife lived on board for a few months.  We installed an ESPAR heater to allow her to stay warm, and we thought the CO detector would be a good idea.  I bought a unit (Firehawk, I think) at Walmart for about $35, and it has worked well. We have not had a valid CO alarm yet (the ESPAR works quite well), but it did alarm when my house battery bank was cooked.  My wife  also smelled
something strange, and, under telephone instruction, she was able to disconnect the boiling batteries before they did serious damage.

Ralph Caruso
On y va

Ralph Caruso
s/v "On y va"  C34#777 Ches.Bay/Magothy