Dickinson cabin heaters

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Lofstrom

Has anyone out there had any experience with the Dickinson Newport propane heaters?  I know it is a silly thing to be thinking about at the beginning of summer, but I've been thinking about them for a while.  My top choice would be one of the Espar diesel water heater systems that I have seen described elsewhere on the web site, but they are pretty pricey.  I was thinking about mounting a Dickinson on the bulkhead in front of the settee.  Any info would be great.

Thanks

Mike

d14

There are two (2) different models, a 9000btu (which I have installed) and a 12000btu.

I installed my heater on the port forward bulkhead above the side settee. I have a 20lb propane tank hung on my railing aft. The wiring and propane hose runs under the port settee. The stack sits just forward of the front spreaders on the cabin top with a stainless cover over the fitting supplied to prevent the genoa sheets from hooking on the stack.

The heater provides sufficient heat to keep the main cabin comfortable but neither hot or even warm in the Pacific Northwest winters. However, I boat all year round.

The nature of the heater means that only the main cabin is heated, I have removed the aft cabin door and bulkhead therby increasing the size of the main cabin but no heat is vented into the v berth.

Additionally, the small fan that is part of the heater is noisy and not controlled the by temperature. Instead you set it to speed and live with it.

Although I still am toying with adding a coolant heater, thereby getting hot water and more heat, I find the Dickinson Propane heater okay, but would install the larger one if I had to do it over again.

hdevera

Mike,

I installed a Webasto force air diesel heater last year.  It works great.  I have vents in the aft, main, and fore cabins.  It's quiet and probably a lot cheaper than a diesel water heater.  Best of all the air is dry on those cold damp rainy days.  Nothing nicer waking to a warm dry cabin and hearing the rain beat down on the deck.  Life is good with a diesel heater.

Stu Jackson

Mike

Here's a very good summary of heaters.

http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/pviewall.tpl?fno=21&uid=73200280089&sku=2004176155954.94

We have a Force 10 bulkhead mounted kerosene unit.  I hate it, it doesn't work, it doesn't heat and makes a mess.  Just my two cents (I do know how to make it work, it just doesn't heat worth a darn.).

Our trawler lamp makes more and nicer heat.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Lofstrom

Thanks to everyone for the replies on this post.  It sounds like the Diesel Espar or Webasto's are probably worth their money.  I liked the idea that the Bulkhead heaters might be an easier install, but it sounds like the Diesel water heaters are a superior solution to heating the boat.  The idea that you could get a warm shower without starting the engine is appealing as well.  I guess i'll save my pennies for now and get the diesel heater later.  Right after the Standing Rigging....New Main....Etc Etc.  

Mike