Batteries

Previous topic - Next topic

butlers

Greeting from Costa Rica.  We are new owners of a 1990,C34, hull # 1023, and excited to be joining such a large and active community.  Our survey indicated that we should replace our batteries.  We intend to use our C34, 2 or 3 times a year, for 3 to 4 weeks each time.  The rest of the time the boat will be at a dock. The boat is pretty much factory standard.  Any suggestions for the "type" of battery (conventional, gel, etc.)given our use pattern?

Steve

Norris Johnson

I'm sold on two banks of golf cart batteries. Total of 4 batteries. A designated 12 volt starter battery is desirable. There are a number of posting on this subject on this website. Try one of the search engines for much more detail.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Eliosso

Also recently acquired a C34 1989 #986
Am in the process of installing:
4 trojan T105 6 volts house batteries,
link 10 battery monitor
trucharge 20 amp charger with remote,
90amps alternator with balmar regulator
Boat is at dock and sail every weekend during summer with a couple of 2 week cruise on lake Champlain , NY
Also planned this spring is a dodger with full enclosure, cockpit cushions a Simrad auto pilot

Will also be replumbing the sink drain.
Thanks to this fabulous site , I get all the technical info I need.

agbenoit

Hi Paul,

Which alternator and regulator?  Where did you get them?

Thanks,

Tony Benoit
Helen C
#903 '89

Stu Jackson

Stephen & Nancy

I recommend starting here:

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=srch&s=329609511&findw=ewing

Kyle has asked a lot of great questions and wrote his first year experiences up that spurred C34 Electrical System questions.  Then try a Find on electrical (see below).

As to gells or wet cells, it's the comparison that's written up in the West Marine Advisor that really says it all.  

See: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorListView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001

...and scroll down to Electrical.

It's not so much the type as it is the total house bank capacity.  If you're close to the boat and/or use a solar charging source, then wet cells or golf carts are less expensive.  If you can't get to the boat, gells have attraction.

It's a "your boat, your choice," since maintenance or the lack of requiring any is what you pay for in gells, and they take up more space than the four Trojans (or golf carts which can be purchased for much less at other sources - don't know what you have down there).

As you'll see in the answers on the previous posts about electrical systems there are many options, no "right" one even for how you choose to use your boat.

Concensus is do an energy budget, and go from there.  So much depends on what and how you plan to recharge.

Also some good info on glow plugs and starting, related to electrical is:

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=327600304

Mike Vaccaro also does a great job of presenting information.  Start here, last post and then try looking up his contributions.

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?q=Y&s=329609511&a=tpc&f=829605811&m=546600651&r=348605527#348605527

A Find on C34 Electrical gets you to:  http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=srch&s=329609511&findw=c34+electrical

Lots of material there.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Best,

Stu

[This message was edited by Stu Jackson #224 1986 "Aquavite" on March 06, 2004 at 11:35 PM.]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Eliosso

Tony Benoit
here is a great reference, and I am going to go this way

http://www.catalina36.org/Article_alternator-battery.htm
Paul

Stu Jackson

Rod's C36 article is very, very good.  It's been cross referenced here before.  The only addition I would make is that Ample Power makes the same kind of alternator as the stock Motorolas.  This avoids having to "redo" the bracket, which Rod seemed to find a problem.

Actually, even if you use a Balmar alternator, all you have to do is file down inside of the bracket which should take less than a half an hour.

So, go with Rod's alternator choice, get an Ample with no bracket filing, or go Balmar with a little shaving.  Choice of external regulation is up to you.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Eliosso

Stu,
would you by any chance have the part number for the Balmar.
do you think the Balmar is a better alternator and if so why?
Paul

Stu Jackson

Paul

If I recall the Balmar is the 912-75.

No, they're not "better" just different.  The Balmar has the cooling fins on the front, which is what creates that minor interference with the bracket.

The Ample models look just like the OEM Motorolas.  See www.jackrabbittmarine.com.
Stu

Stu Jackson

There's only one t in rabbit

The reference should be www.jackrabbitmarine.com

After the home page opens, go to Products and you'll see pictures of the alternators.  Dig as deep as you like.

Stu

b delli 0098 "Isabel"

My boat has two 6 volt in series and two 12's. I don't know why the sixes, it seems the 12's are better. My boat is an '86, were the sixes original? can I remove the pair of sixes for a 12? or two?

Stu Jackson

Batteries

C34 Electrical Systems

b delli

Here's one of the links that you can start with to understand the difference.

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=499603804&r=767607834#767607834

I believe it also is part of the reference material noted above.

There is no "best." Period.  It depends on how you use your boat, and what kind fit in your boat.  2 6V batteries wired in series together makes a 12 V battery.  You can mix and match as long as they come out 12V each.

Why not do a little more research on your question, and then we can help you out some more.  I know it's a lot of reading, but it is (almost) all there, including references to published sources.

This is a "FIND" on "batteries:"

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=srch&s=329609511&findw=batteries

The 6's were not original, and if your hull # is 98, none of your batteries are original, unless they're dead. :)

Any more questions, let us know.

Stu

B delli 0098 "isabel"

Thanks Stu, It seems you reply on almost all topics. Thank you very much!!! I'm new to this web page and new to the c34, but it is obvious that you are an integral part of it's success. I will be doing alot of work on my '86 boat so I'll try and give back as much as possible. So far I have done the exhaust, tightened keel bolts, and rudder packing. My next project is the top rudder bushing. I'm going to try and save the emerg. tiller cap, but am ready to cut it if neccessary. I have the pair of bushings on order and won't start til the parts are on hand. I could sail as is because the play is only about a 1/4 inch. the boat sailed well last season as is. Anyway, thanks again and keep up the great work. Part of the reason I bought this boat was because of this website, and I'm very happy I did.. BD

Stu Jackson

BD

We share "experienced" '86 boats.  Ron and I and a number of other "regulars" hang out on this board and share our information and experiences.  As you'll learn, there are a few things you HAVE to do right, and most others are up to you with input and suggestions, as well as the stuff that's "already been written."  Thanks for taking the time to do that, and keep the questions coming.

Also, use the Projects and check out the related links to Al Watson's Home Page.  Al has since sold his boat to Dave Commando, but his writeups are very good help for you and others with "original" C34s.

I wrote the following a few years ago.  It's not a full checklist by any means, and was done in jest, but it sure is a good start:

posted April 29, 2001

Wheel Thingy

Peter

Why bother?

You have so many other things to do, like:

dinghies and engine choices, diesel engine maintenance, sail trim, battery charging and/or inverter equipment, galley sink drains, interior and exterior lighting improvements, thru hull lubrication, roller furling fairleads, head anti-siphon loops, minimizing the size of the salon main table, inverter/charger choices, anchor rollers, anchor size, prop type and pitch, mattresses, cushion material & thickness, bleeding the diesel, boat theme, cutless bearing grief, packless stuffing box, burbing the engine raw and fresh water systems, leaks, anchor locker separation, battery capacity and type, oilingh everything, buying and using Lanocote, microwave size, hanging locker or shelves, sleep inside or out, emergency tiller, where to put the "all of the stuff," sleep aft or forward cabin, NDZ or poop overboard, stargaze or have fun, jib fairleads and cheek blocks, and the dreaded Autohelm 4000 or Navico choice."

Have fun  :)

Stu

Eliosso

After long searches for my electric, electronics and other boat needs, found this supplier that has the best prices
http://www.brokenlegdave.com/
Paul