Who Are You - IDs for new Message Board Registrants & a "How To" for Questions

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

It's that time again to remind you to help us out by letting us know who you are and what hull # and year boat you have.

We understand that it's in the "background" of your sign up, but you can make it pop up right on the message board every time, so others who are answering your questions can be more specific.  Your hull # and year really helps in answering.

HOW TO DO IT

MESSAGE BOARD FORMAT INPUT INSTRUCTIONS

1. Find a post you've made and click on your name OR
2. Go to "Profile" (on the top of this page in different locations dependign on the "theme" you chose to use)
3. Click on Forum, Profile Information, Edit Profile.
4. Scroll down to Signature.
5. We recommend that you input your real name, boat #, year, boat name (as much as will fit) in the signature box.
6.  Go to the bottom right and click on the Change profile Button.

That should pop up the info everytime so you don't have to repeat typing in your identification information each time you post a new message.

Please also see this post:  C34IA Membership  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2768.0

And this "Guide to the C34IA Website"  --  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2629.0

Thanks,
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

jrgrabmeier

I would carry it a step further.

Often when reading a message, my understanding of the discussion would be a lot more meaningful knowing where the boat is located.  Is it in salt or fresh water? Is it "on the hard" this time of year (as mine is)?  Are tides influencing how the boat is sailed (not on Lake Erie)?  I often find myself going back to the profile anyway to find out where the boat is sailed.

Since the boat location is part of the
"background profile information" collected, why not make it pop up on the message board as part of the posting?

I understand that this would require a technical change to the message board, but would be helpful.

Keep up the good work!

Joe

Stu Jackson

For all of our new Message Board members.

Please check out: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2768.0  Invitation to Join the C34 International Association.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

Once again

Your boat name is nice, but your hull and year is VERY important for us to help you.

Ron Hill

Guys : AS all of the others above have said we need the most information that you can give us so we can analyze your problem and get you a BEST solution. 
A few most recent stumpers were questions on the emergency tiller cap and not knowing if the boat had a standard or walk thru transom - Then a question on fill caps and not knowing if the boat has a vberth or starboard or aft water tankage? 
There are only a FEW of us that can decipher some of this knowledge by knowing the production year. 
Engine won't start?? - Does that mean that the starter won't crank? or it cranks and still won't start??
Give us ALL of the data to work with and you'll get a better and faster answer!!
A few thoughts!!   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

Stephen Butler

Kind of a silly question, but what how did Catalina describe the boats with an integral swim platform and closed transome?  We were at the Florida factory this last summer and asked the question, but no one had the "descriptor."  Am asking, because it sure would be nice to just write 1990-C34, #1023, XYZ.  Not a big deal, but if anyone does know, we would appreciate a note back.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Stu Jackson

Catalina didn't, but I've been calling them "Mark I -  1/2" for years.

Ron Hill

Stephen : FYI, In 1990 Catalina changed the standard closed transom to one that has a step platform molded into the aft side.  They also came out with the walk-thru as an option. 
The dealers named the molded in step of the 1990s as the "dimpled transom".   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stephen Butler

Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Stu Jackson

another reminder to new message board participants

I think the step transom should be called a Mark I 1/4!!!!

Stu Jackson

HOW TO POST A QUESTION

This is one of the very best "How To" messages I've seen. 

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=101369

It was created by our good friend, Maine Sail, who has contributed significantly to the sailing community and is a moderator over at www.catalinaowners.com.  I highly recommend visiting over there, as there is a lot to learn, and their search engine is not bad - you can also search by author to find posts by folks who know what they are talking about. 

Maine Sail's own website is here: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects  Lotsa good stuff there.  He used to have a C36 and a C310.

Stu Jackson

Bill Asbury

Hi Stu,
Need to make changes in my profile but don't recall my password.  Can you help me with this?
Thanks,
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Stu Jackson

I wrote to Bill:

Nope, only YOU know that, we do not, never did, never will.

The ONLY password we know is for access to Tech Notes Online.

Folks, we'll remind you yet again:  the password you make up for this message board is ALL YOURS.  No one else knows it, we certainly don't.

Please, either have your computer remember it or better yet, write it down somewhere.  I keep a spreadsheet with all my pws on it.  No way we can remember all the different ones we use for all the things we sign up for online.

Bill Asbury

Sorry for the bother, Stu.  When I bought my previous C34 in '05 and joined C34IA, a friend helped me set it up due to my poor computer skills.  He did it very quickly and it apparently didn't occur to me to write down the password.  Still haven't figured out how to use emoticons...:-(
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay