Seacock Lubrication message from Forespar

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewartn

This is an email to and from Forespar re: lubbrication of the Marelon seacocks. Anybody wish to add to the confusion?

Do not use any spray type of grease. The valves will need to be replaced. Without a part number for the valve or a picture I can only take a guess as to what needs to be done. Remove the hose and hose barb and apply grease directly to the ball and you can apply grease from the outside to the ball. If you have the valves that are square bodies with four screws holding the sections together do not take these valves apart and they do not need any grease applied.

Randall J. Risvold
Forespar
22322 Gilberto
RSM, Ca. 92688
ph. 949 858 8820
fax 949 858 0505
cell 949 280 2077
sales@forespar.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 2:25 PM
To: randyr@forespar.com
Subject: Thru Hull Lubrication

Sorry to bother you. Have a Catalina 34 with 6 Forespar Marelon sea cocks. No problems. Just want to know if I can lube these from the outside before the boat goes in the water. Can I spray silicone or a sub up thru the thru hull and lube the valve? I cannot detach the hoses and disassemble the sea cocks. Boat splashes Mon., 5/10, so sooner is better, if you can answer.

Thx/Rgds
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

tonywright

From Forespar reps at the boat show, they have recommended either flushing with fresh water or applying Lanacote only. You can apply it while the boat is out of the water by smearing some Lanacote on the tip of a soft bottle brush and poking it up the thru-hull (while the seacock is closed). You can then work the handle back and forth.

In general they say opening a closing each seacock a couple of times every couple of weeks is good to keep them working well.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ron Hill

Guys : The best thing that I've found over the past 22 years - is water resistant grease(boat trailer wheel bearing grease). 
Put some on a the tip of a small metal shaft stiff bush and wipe it on the closed thru hull.  If you are on the hard, all the better as you can do it on the one side and then remove the hose and get the other side.  Then just work the thru hull many many many times - to limber it up.

Don't forget to exercise the thru hulls when you're on a trip every week to 10 days.  A thought 
Ron, Apache #788