Emergency tiller

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

After sailing ChriSea for 2 years, we discovered that we cannot find anything on the boat that looks like an emergency tiller.  We are thinking that a 1" pipe about 15" long should fit.  Any suggestions where the emergency tiller could be hiding or what it looks like?  Has anyone purchased one?  We used the Search function and found some information about using it, but no description of the actual part or where it is normally stored.  Thanks!
ChriSea #832, 1989
Tall rig, fin keel
Sailing on Lake Michigan

John Langford

Mine is an aluminum pipe about 4ft long packaged in a red nylon drawstring bag which also contained the key required to open the deck fitting.

Cheers,
John
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Stu Jackson

Chris

The Mark I boats don't need a key to access the emergency tiller, since it's right out in plain sight underneath the helmsman's seat.  It should be an aluminum tube that fits right into the hole.  If you don't have one, then just measure the hole and buy some pipe.

Also see:

http://c34.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=search&s=329609511&reqWords=emergency+tiller

While some of the posts deal with the cap, many of them discuss emergency tillers and alternate ideas to make them more user friendly.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Smith

So that is what that handle is for! I found it and the cockpit bilge pump handle while I was checking my Hurricane lines this weekend. I'll give them both a try Saturday.

Mike

Jim Price

Being a little anal, I pulled mine out last year and cleaned it up (they can rust from no use)and decided to repaint with quality paint but I pained it RED.  Real easy to tell someone to get me the "BIG RED PIPE" immediately without having to explain what this is all about and causing more panic than is necessary at the time. :cool:
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA