Mainsheet lead

Previous topic - Next topic

rappareems

I have recently installed the garhauer rigid vang and I am sure that anyone who has done this knows that the original mainsheet lead now chafs on the vang.  I've done the search on this topic and noted where Ron Hill suggests eliminating going through the bock under boom and strait to the block at the base of the mast and back.  

What I would like to know is if anyone has set up a system that would bring the working end of the mainsheet through a fiddle block with jaws that would eliminate running from the mast through a deck organizer and back to the cockpit?  I would imagine you would need to multiply the blocks to improve purchase as it is only 6 to 1 (I think) now.  You could still run to a winch if needed.  Suggestions.  Thanks.
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Stu Jackson

Mark

In a recent Mainsheet Tech Notes, I wrote an article titled Double Line Reefing.  I think it has, albeit small, pictures of my setup, showing boom bails and the Mainsheet lines.  We have three bails and the Mainsheet is still led to the base of the mast.  Easier to try to see if you can see it in the pictures, but I'll look at the boat today, and take some pictures for you, too.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

Mark,

I have installed a "Double-Ended Sheeting" mainsheet system on my C-34...

Garhauer custom built a 7:1 purchase (maybe even 8:1, I'd have to look at the boat) with jaws/cleats attached to the bottom set of blocks...I still run the bitter/other end fwd, then to the base of the mast (skipping the gooseneck block), then throught the deck organizer, through a rope clutch (changed out the original jam cleat near the winch with a double rope clutch; one for main halyard, other side for mainsheet), then to the winch...

With this setup I can either trim straight off the mainsheet system by hand (having the bitter end locked in the rope clutch by the winch), or I can cleat the end at the mainsheet, and use the winch (like originally configured)...

The only problem I have is when trimming straight off the mainsheet block...If the line goes slack, the block will fall one way or another, and cause the lines to be jammed/pinched by the sheeves...This happens when there is not enough pressure on the sheet to hold the bottom block (4 sheeves wide) upright.  I believe this problem would be solved if I installed a large spring between the bottom mainsheet block and the traveler to help the block "stand up" all the time; haven't looked for a spring as of yet.

As far as trimming goes; we usually only use the mainsheet block trimming during light wind days, and always when running or gybing...You can sheet much, much faster/easier off the main blocks than dealing with the friction of all those turning blocks going to the winch...

Once we get the main snug from trimming off the mainsheet block, we cleat it and then grind in what's left with the winch (hence "double ended sheeting?)...

Maybe we would use it more if I found a spring to hold the block up, but it has proved it's value just from the running/gybing scenerios...We can keep the main under much better control when gybing; sail no longer slams arcoss because it's impossible to sheet fast enough using the winch...

If you would like more info, please email me and maybe I can give you a better description.

Tom

Stu Jackson

Mark

If you don't have a dodger, then you could do what you suggest. Hard to use the cabintop winches, too.  I haven't heard of anyone else doing it, though.

Got some pictures for you of the mainsheet (by email sometime soon).  I don't have any chafe on the rigid vang because, as you'll see, my mast mounted mainsheet block on starboard is offset 45 degrees aft.  Seems that Garhauer sent me a single block without the mast pin fitting, when I upgraded the mainsheet blocks years ago.  

So I had to improvise and used a Wichard D shackle at the mast pin, so th blocks somewhat further aft and to starboard.  This moves the mainsheet line away from the rigid vang by a about a foot.  Hence, no chafe.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

rappareems

Tom/Stu,

If possible I would love pictures of your systems. Thanks.
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

Mark,

I'll see if I can borrow a digital camera and get some pics to show you the mainsheet setup...

Keep in mind that I do not have a rigid vang, so I don't have the chaf problem you are talking about...But if by-passing the mast block or adding a shackle at the mast bast solve the problem, then it's an easy fix...I by-passed the mast block to help reduce friction, and have not seen any adverse affects.

Please give me a week or so to get the pics to you...

Tom

Stu Jackson

Here's a picture of my mainsheet lead.  The turning block at the mast base is extended somewhat because when I ordered it from Garhauer I didn't get the standard pin connection, so I used a Wichard D shackle.  The block is, therefore, further aft and to starboard.  There is no chafe on the rigid boom vang.  One thing that helps is the extra large long boom bail around the upper end of the vang on the boom.

Stu

rappareems

Stu,

Got the pictures, thanks.
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario