Steering Cable

Previous topic - Next topic

HydroTherapy

I was sailing today in 16 knots of wind and my steering cable broke.  :)  

My question is this...  I have searched this site for "steering" and "steering cable" and came up with nothing useful. :confused:  Is there information on the site regarding installing a new cable?  Can anybody give any insight?  Expected cost?  If it has to be done by a pro, any references in the Stamford, CT area.

Thanks........David

Stu Jackson

David

I tried a Find on quadrant, not much here.  I think that is because the steering system isn't too unique to C34s.

Try the Edson website, they'll give you tons of good information, their catalog is superior (and you can get one for free). www.edsonmarine.com

They're in New Bedford, MA.  Phone is 508-995-9711. They'll be able to put you in contact with a :local: in your area.

Nice job on the emergency tiller - ain't that fun to use?

For anyone who hasn't, PLEASE try using it on a nice day and get the feel of the emergency tiller before you absolutely need to use it.
Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

HydroTherapy

Stu,

I cound not agree with you any more.  Everybody out their.  If you have not tried your emergency tiller TRY IT!  And, know where it is.

Thanks......David

John Langford

You might particularly want to look and see if the morse control cables are rubbing against the control wires for the steering. They were on my boat when I bought it.

Cheers,
John

HydroTherapy

Thanks for the help.  I am calling Will Kean tomorrow and I already have a friend lined up to help with the job.  While I am placing an order with Edson I am going to upgrade to a stainless clutch and throttle handle.

David

Mike Smith

David -

If you are going to install the new style shift and throttle levers, then here is a link you may find interesting. You will need to make an adjustment at the transmission end of the cable connection to prevent the shift lever from hitting the pedestal guard when in forward.

Mike

HydroTherapy

Ron,

What can I say but, "THANKS!!!!!!!!!!"  I spoke to Will Keene today and he was great.  He went over everything with me and thought it was a good idea to change the idler pins like you said.  He was unable to tell how it happened until I look for certain things, but I think the loose side jumped off the pully???  I should be able to figure it out tonight.

It was not until we were almost done on the phone that he told me he was the owner of the company.  What a nice guy.  I am going to mail him the old cable, he wants to see it.

Thanks again :),

David

HydroTherapy

Ron,

I went over the steering with a friend who is a machanic and he said the cable was loose and it fell off the pully on the loose side while turning.  He will help me fix it and I will learn a lot while doing this.  I will let you (everybody) know how long it took and how much skill it takes.

David  :)

HydroTherapy

OK.......I finished changing the cable and I thought I would share my experience.

The cable broke because the eye bolts on the rudder wheel were loose.  The cable fell off and acted like a saw on the pins that hold the idler (Ron, it was good that you told me to change them.)

The hardest part of the job was getting the compass off (1 1/2 hours... don't ask).

I had a friend help me and the rest was straight forward.  At first I never thought I could have done it, but I took it slow and learned a lot along the way.

Thanks for the help along the way.

David

HydroTherapy

Ron,

Neither of the nuts were lock nuts.  Should one be a lock nut?  I made the cable as tight as I could, but there is still a very little bit of play.  I will check after each sail.

Please advise on the nuts.

Thanks,

David

PAUL T.

David...... You say you made the cable as tight as you you could. I hope not to tight, I recall reading in the Edson manual something about 1 inch deflection when pushing on the 1 foot of cable. I am not sure on the numbers but you might want to check........PAUL

HydroTherapy

Paul,

Thanks for the input. I will call Edson and find out the proper tenson.  I learned the hard way to make sure everything is in good working order.

Thanks,

David

HydroTherapy

Hello,

If I push on the cable I have a little bit less than one inch of play six inches aft of the idler.  What do you think?

David