clarification of fuel pump replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

captran

I have a 1997 M-35
 Deisel.  In previous posts the replacement fuel pump is said to be Napa # 610-1051.  This pump is very different that the stock fuel pump.  I think the stock pump is a facet, and it is like a little cannister.  The Napa pump is a square little unit with an entirely different set up and mount.  Has anyone actually made the conversion to the Napa? How did the old vs new mounting and wiring work out?  Are there other parts needed?  I'm thinking I should take a spare, but I'd feel better if it was the identical unit.

Also, any recommendations as to if I should pick up a water pump gasket.  Last year I replaced the Shewwood with an Obendorfer but I hadnt purchased a gasket and mounted it without one.  Thanks.

Stu Jackson

Randy

If you can't buy a gasket tomorrow for the ObeRdorfer for between the faceplate and the impeller, get a paper bag (like from a grocery store) and cut it to fit as a gasket.  The thickness of the paper bag is exactly what the gasket is.  You NEED the gasket or the impeller will score the inside of the Oberdorfer cover plate and mess up your water flow.  DO IT NOW.  It Is Very Important.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

captran

Thanks both Ron and Stu.  I had re-read after doing a search andbut I had been still not sure of the difference, perhaps lost in the volume of previous posts.   Your reply helps clarify.  I think I'll see if the have the one with the filter, if only because I prefer replacing like for like due to my concrete thinking.

I replaced the water pump at Spanish wells and probably put at least 30-40 hours on the motor.  I will go ahead and order the gaskets.  Since I am 3000 miles away, I guess I'll order both.  I know there is not one between the pump and the engine block.  I am not sure about the one under the face plate.  Hopefully nothing is messed up from my running the motor from Spanish Wells to Florida.  Thanks again for your advice.  I wish I had a lap top and access to the net during my summer time cruise.  Oh well,...thanks!!!!!

captran

Thanks again.  I suspect there must have been a gasket on the face plate that came with.  We leave at 6am Tuesday for the flight across the country to get to the boat.  I dont recall any oil leaking from the face plate at the end of the year.  I'm hoping its all OK/  Always a worry.  Many thanks.