Vented loop for toilet

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

Hold your nose for this one...

I just read the Jabsco toilet manual which came with the boat (it was raining...I was reorganizing the bookshelf)and I noted that the Jabsco people insist on a vented loop in the  hose line between the toilet and the holding tank if the toilet discharge elbow (at base of pump)is not at least 8" above the top of the holding tank. The manual isn't graphically specific, but I assume that the vented loop would stop the bad stuff from returning to the toilet when sailing hard on a starboard tack.

Now for the bad news. There is no vented loop in my discharge hose and the toilet discharge elbow is quite a bit lower than the point on the holding tank where the discharge hose from the toilet connects. Does anyone else have a vented loop in their discharge hose?  I recall that my c320 lacked a vented loop and I am pretty sure that the discharge elbow was well below the point where the discharge hose entered the holding tank. No problem in 9 years of sailing.

I breathlessly await assurance that all is well...or otherwise.

Cheers,
John
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Stu Jackson

Toilet (Head) Vented Loops

John

At least you're still floating!  :)

We do not have a vented loop on the 1 1/2 inch head discharge to the holding tank either.

We DO have one between the inlet and outlet (3/4 inch line) of the toilet (NOT on the inlet from the through hull to the head, but rather between the inlet and outlet of the pump).  We have a Wilcox Crittendon Head Mate.  That's to avoid the inlet flooding past th head's own little hand pump if the rubber valves die or someone leaves the selector in the wrong position.  Remember, the door to the space under your head sink says "IMPORTANT (twice) Close head through hull when not in use."

Most references suggest a vented loop on any lines below the waterline that remain open to avoid internal flooding.  If your 1 1/2 inch head output only goes to the holding tank, with no overboard discharge that could remain open, there really is NO reason to need a vented loop on that line.

I think you're just fine.  Calder's Boatowner's Manual book also has a good discussion on this subject.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ray & Sandy Erps

My boat has a vented loop on the toilet intake line, but not on the discharge line.  The discharge on our boat line climbs a pretty good hill before going back down to the holding tank with a Y valve in the hanging locker.  Even with a recommendation from Jabsco, I wouldn't change the set up.  I'm not keen on the idea of a sewage vent inside the boat, if there was a blockage after the vent, seems like there would be a good chance of spraying discharge water out the vent.  I think the head pump itself works pretty good as a check valve to keep anything from coming back.  If your set up has been working, I wouldn't mess with it.

So are you going to head up to Desolation Sound this year?  We're heading out First week of July.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

John Langford

Thanks Ray and Stu. Unless more persuasive views are registered I am going with your combined wisdom. I also have severe doubts about installing a vented loop in the hanging locker. As they say in politics, I don't think that idea passes the smell test.

Ray, unfortunately, we are going the opposite direction. About every five years we do a summer tour of Puget Sound all the way to Olympia. We are due for that trip and thought that with a new (to us)boat it wouldn't be bad to be a little closer to a marine store if one was required. We leave for Port Townsend on July 9 and expect to be wandering around the Sound and then the San Juans until the end of the month.

We went to Desolation last year and were amazed at how few American cousins were up there. This year, with fuel prices what they are, it is a pleasant possibility that larger power boats from both sides of the border might stay home. One can only dream.

If you are planning to stop in Victoria Harbour, Oak Bay or at RVYC in Cadboro Bay before July 9 and want to have beer, let me know before you leave.

Cheers,
John
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S