New Catalina Options

Previous topic - Next topic

BruGar

We're in the process of buying a new Catalina 34 and would like suggestions and advice on purchasing a stereo/CD player and plasma TV.   The ones Catalina offers as options seem overpriced unless they're built especially for boats and different from conventional equipment, such as being for a marine environment.  We were thinking about having the boat wired for stereo and TV by Catalina and buying and installing our own stereo and TV to cut costs.  Is that a good idea, and if so who and what do you recommend?

Thanks

Gary

Ron Hill

Gary : I'm not too sure that Catalina will install just the wiring - you'd better recheck that.  Otherwise if you're the least bit handy, you're better off doing it yourself.  As you noted it will be cheaper and you can probably get a better grade item at a lower cost.  There are some 12v plasma TVs - you'll just have to shop around.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

dpitch65

What I learn when I purchase my new 2004 Catalina ....

1 - Price from Catalina are pretty high and you can get better equipment from 3rd party.  However, I would go ahead and get all my critical electronic from the factor because you get the warranty.   (West Marine now offers installation and they provide warrenty as well).   However, Catalina is pretty flexible on options.   I asked for a single lever control for throttle and gear... Wasn't an option, but Catalina factory did the work for me.    So if you need something or want something .. ask your dealer.  They will be your best friend for the next year as you work out bugs...    (At least Farallone Yachts in SF Bay were very accomondating for me.)

2.  For the TV and Radio - I wish I had the TV antenna put on the mast before it was raised.  I just wasn't thinking.  The boat yard can do it during the commissioning of the boat - work with your sales rep.    Also add spreader lights.  You can never have to much light!  I am really glad that I did.  

3.  Add additional 12v outlet in the cockpit for spotlights, or anything else you might want to power.. it been a big help.

5.  TV and Stereo - You can add that afterware without much effort.  Bose have waterproof speakers that sound much nicer than the catalina speakers.   Plus you can get a much cooler stereo.  I purchased my stereo and my catalina dealer installed it for me.  I bought a cool pinoneer deck that plays DVD, so I watch TV through my stereo without having another piece of equipment and it all runs off 12V without an invertor.

6.  Don't buy a plasma TV, go with LCD.   All LCD TV are DC 12V.  Check the power input to make sure.  Just place a voltage regulatory between DC power source and TV.   I am not sure the impact charging of the battery will have on the TV.

7. If you buying Chartplotter and Radar - Purchase the option that supports networking (Raymarine RL series).  You can add additional gadgets, such as remote control for sterring and etc..    By all means - get you a friendly Auto Pilot...    You have to settle for ST-4000 series.  Catalina told me that the ST-6000 series will not fit on C34.

8.  Anchor - Don't mess around - Purchase an oversize anchor, and 300ft of chain rode.  Why risk it unless you are just racing.  (This is definitely done by your dealer..  work with them)

9.  Dodger -  Don't buy the Catalina Dodger.  They don't have all the neccessary support for offshore, they don't have hand-holds on top, the widows are sewed in, you can't change them out.  Purchase your dodger from 3rd party who knows Canvas!!!  I wish I did this.  

10. Props - Take the hit - get a feathering prop.  Whether you are cruising or racing - there is no sense of dragging a bucket with 3 or 2 blad prop.  

Good luck,

Don
Liquid Courage

APACHE

Don has some very good points.  One thing that I'd like to point out that's paramount is INTEGRATION .  
If you're going to get a auto pilot that talks to a GPS, that talks to a radar, that talks to a chart plotter that talks to etc.  -- it the integration that is the problem.  Get it all at one time and get one person/company that you can go to while it's all under warranty and tell them to FIX IT!!
A very important thought.  :wink: [/b]

Stu Jackson

There is a thread going on another 'board about the cost of a new boat (a C36) with certain options, that may interest you:

http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/pviewall.tpl?fno=23&uid=73200280089&sku=2004239175705.62&rid=2004240174423.42#2004240174423.42

My understanding of a C350 new-boat issue is that the owners were not pleased with the plasma screen machine, more-so because of the intermittent locations that the factory employed, not necessarily with the quality of the screen.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

BruGar

Thanks Ron and Don.  We'll definetely look into buying both the stereo and TV from a third party and having Farallone install them.  Don, your stereo and TV setup sound great.  Did you have any problems finding a stereo system that fits the space provided by Catalina and the aftermarket wiring, including hooking up the TV to it?  I was told buying our own TV is OK, but wiring the stereo is difficult afterward so we would be better off going with the Catalina stereo.  Just dealer talk?!  As Ron said, I was told Catalina doesn't like to do just the wiring.  A dodger and bimini come N/C with the 2005 Anniversary Edition, so we'll go with that.  You're right, though, handles and removable windows on the dodger make good sense... next one.

Gary

Stu Jackson

Gary

I recommend that you reconsider the Catalina stereo if your only concern is the degree of difficulty in installation.

It is very simple, many have done it, including our work on Aquavite in Alameda.  I would be glad to personally walk you through it.

You can save $$, and also learn an awful lot about your boat's electrical systems, and this is as good a way to start as you possibly can.   :D

Let me know how I can help, feel free to call me to discuss.

Dodger handles can EASILY  be added, and sailing around here you NEED them for safety.  There's a great article about a year ago in Good Old Boat magazine about the simplicity of adding rails.  Let me know if you'd like a copy.

All the best,
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

BruGar

Stu

Thanks for the offer to help with installling our stereo, and for the thread regarding C350 options.  I apparently need to speak directly with Catalina about pre-wiring the stereo, a TV monitor and speakers.  That would certainly make installation easier.  It's also good to know dodger handles can easily be added.  I wouldn't mind purchasing all the options I want from Catalina if I didn't feel the prices are ridiculous.  It's a shame to be buying a great new boat from a reputable manufacturer and have to tap dance around options to keep from getting screwed.  You'd think they'd give their customers a price break on all options as reward for buying their boat and to encourage them to buy more.

Gary

Stu Jackson

Philosophically, I agree.  For a business, it's hard to justify.  There are soooo many options and so many people.  And how often do you buy a boat, usually lots less than cars.

SteveLyle

My guess is that 'outrageous' prices on options reflects the fact that Catalina would just as soon not have you select options - their claim to fame is building hulls, not customizing them.

Of course, the other possibility is that they price them high because that's what the market will bear - people gladly pay it because they want to sail their boats, not work on them.

The good news is that you CAN do practically all this stuff yourself.  Don't get mad, just get even - don't check the option boxes, get and install he stuff yourself and it'll give you something to do when there's no air out there.

Steve

Roc

In the negotiation on the final selling price, options can be used as leverage.  If the dealer won't move from the selling price, ask to get options thrown in at no extra charge.  People are sometimes willing to give some options away to make the sale.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

BruGar

Thanks for the encouragement of those who recommend buying our own options and installing them.  I definitely want to do that for the stereo, TV monitor and speakers.  I think Steve's observation about sailing rather than working on boats is accurate and applicable in our case - we don't want the boat to be about continually taking on upgrades, installations, replacements and/or repairs.  That's a lot of what the C27 we're trading in has been about, and we're tired of it.  We're an hour and a half drive from the marina and have busy lives outside sailing, so when we go for a weekend once or twice a month we'd prefer to make it as much as possible an enjoyable get away rather than another set of projects to deal with.  However, boats obviously require a lot of care which we'll gladly give it.  The C27 is impeccably maintained.  

I had another question for the group regarding purchasing new Catalinas.  I noticed on the web site for the Florida dealer Stu posted from the C36 thread that the base price for a new C34 is nearly $11,000 less that what we've been given out here by Farallone as the "Factory Standard Price".  That's a sizable amount.  Do base prices vary by location, and/or is that at the dealer's discretion like cars?  Never before haven bought a new boat,  we didn't think to make an offer as you normally do on used vehicles and vessels.  Since we're getting nearly that much in options "N/C" with the 2005 35th Anniversary Edition we thought we're doing pretty well.  What's your take?

Gary

Stu Jackson

Gary

Sometimes too much information is not a good idea.

I never have purchased a new boat and applaud the folks who can do that.

Sure, there have to be regional variations, but from what I've heard, Farrallone is selling C34s like hotcakes, so they are NOT in a position to deal.  Would you?

With all that said, it's like buying anything:  work it all out so you don't have any buyer's remorse, and feel like you got a good deal.

Even when buying a previously owned vessel, there's some negotiating going on so both parties feel like they got a good deal.

Sounds like you did, now it's time to move on and enjoy the boat.

Hope you join the Association (the dealer will forget to tell you your first year's membership in the IA is FREE, but we'll take care of that) and also join Fleet One.  Check the links on the main site and sign up soon, nice folks.

Send me an email sec@c34.org (or sec@c34ia.org, whatever works) and I'll gt you the pw for the Tech Notes Online.  Time for you to start reading about electrical systems on boats.  :)

Roc

Gary,
That difference may be that the dealer isn't adding in the 'Commissioning' fee, which usually adds about $10,000 to the price.  Read the fine print to see if that lower price includes commissioning.  Lots of times at boat shows. the prices in the brochure look good, but at the bottom it says 'does not include commissioning'.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

BruGar

Roc

Good point.  That would sure make up the difference.

Thanks

Gary