Water in the hull

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard

I have water seeping in thru the Strut bolts as well. The strut is thing that has the cutlass bearing right? Would it be proper to remove the nuts from inside and rebed them with something less than 5200? One at a time of course.

BellWell

Thank you for your reply Rick, it was very hepful. I also sent an email to Gerry Douglas yesterday. My problem is that the yard isn't doing the work on "BellWell"I have an outside contractor, and the yard is pushing to getthe boat in the water.I asked Gerry if it could wait until she's hauled, the crack is only about an 1/8th of an inch but it would indicate that there could be considerable water in the skeg. I'll be very interested to know what the yard says about the cause of the water.
Again thanks, Joan

RV61

Joan,
The crack I had was very small however the amount of water coming in was more than I was comfortable with. The crack was so small it looked like it was just a crack in the many coats of bottom paint. After we hauled back out you could see the water weeping out of the crack. At $4.00 per foot to go in and another $4.00 back out I would fix the problem before going in. Another thought would be will the poroblem get worse over the season and be a real big issue at the most inopportune time like several miles out. I would tell the yard to consider your safety and work with them to put your baot in when the problem is fixed.Spoke to the yard today and I will not know the cause untill late this week or weekend. I will post the findings.

BellWell

Rick,Thanks for the further information. You're right this should be attended to before she goes in the water. Joan

rappareems

Since I started this post last October I have following it with interest. After much "study" this Spring and collecting the common wisdom of my yard mates I have filled the skeg aft of the strut with foam, ground out those crescent like cracks on either side around the strut will lay up some glass in there for strength and fair it out.  I don't think the water was coming in from inside as the water that came out last Fall was very fresh.  As per Ron Hill's advise I will put in a stainless shaft, but sadly that will have to wait till next year, hope I don't need to do all this again because of that bronze shaft being flexed by my "flex-o-fold" prop.  I will let you know what transpires at Haul Out in October.  Have a good season!
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

RV61

Just a followup. We could not determine the source of the water found in the skeg. We checked the rudder post and the strut bolts and they were not the culprit. As said above filled with foam and patched up the holes we drilled and the glass we took off to look at strut bolts. She is now floating and is dry as my wallet. It is time to go sailing.