Mast climbing

Previous topic - Next topic

agbenoit

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with or recommendations about climbing the mast on a boat that is up on stands?  I've heard that some boatyards prohibit it.  I talked to the yard manager where Helen C is and he said it was fine with the yard if I wanted to go up.

I am planning to install a transducer and cable for my new wind instrument.

Thanks,

Tony

mike baker

Is your boat on jack stands or in a cradle?  I wouldn't even consider going up the mast of a boat sitting on jack stands.  Even in a cradle I'm not sure it is such a good idea.

agbenoit

Hi all,

Helen C was splashed on Saturday.  I climbed the mast today with a Top Climber.  In a little over an hour, I replaced the Datamarine wind transducer and the original cable with a Raymarine cable and transducer.  

To run the new cable, I cut the old one and taped the new one flush to the end.  Note that the hole in the mast cap was not big enough to permit any overlap between the two cables.  I fed the new one in as a friend pulled at the base of my keel stepped mast.  The new cable went in too easily: At one point the old one jammed when the slack kinked.  I had to keep just a tiny bit of back tension on the new cable as he pulled.

I haven't connected the instrument yet; I'll let you know how that goes.

Thank you,