Replacement Diesel Fuel Cap

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

.............that's ol' fashioned colonial ingenuity.
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Ron Hill

Guys : There have been a zillion posts and Mainsheet articles written on the plastic fuel and water tank caps.

They are only available from a Catalina dealer (if they have any left) Catalina parts or Catalina Direct.

There are an equal number of articles and posts about how the plastic fuel cap can crack letting hose down and rain water into your fuel tank!!  So buyer be where. You might consider a new metal fuel fill.

As for the plastic caps, don't use the winch handle to tighten them as you an tighten them enough with your hand.  I found that when unscrewing the cap if you place your index finger in the "winch hole" your can unscrew the cap and remove it without dropping it overboard.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

Good points Ron.

I am buying them as back up right now...just in case I hear that plop plop oh oh sound.

HAwk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Les Luzar

If any of you still use the red diesel plastic filler cap with a winch handle hole, since I am sensitive to water intrusion, I took a plastic Glad Freezer Bag and filled it with some beach sand. Then I double bagged it to keep the sand from leaking out. When I hose down the boat, I place this sand bag over the diesel fill cap to keep water from entering the winch handle hole. It works great. Just a simple precaution. FYI
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA