rig virbration, mast pumping

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim "SV Ohana"

I just finished rebeding my shrouds and in the process of tightening up everything have managed to induce rig vibration, both underway and at dock.  I tightened the schrouds a bit more than they were.
Seams the forstay is a little loose, so have tightened down the backstay adjuster, which seamed to lessen the vibration.
I have read the posts on mastpumping and rig tension.
Question, is there an easy way of tightening the forstay without removing the roller gear (have the two line system)??
Or would just tightening up the backstay (using the turnbuckles) snug everything up??
Guess I'm looking for an easier way than what looks like a rather extensive process of tensioning the rig.
Suggestions?
Jim

Roc

Jim,
If you still have the manual to the furling unit, it may show how to get to the turnbuckle.  I have a Shaffer unit and the manual shows how to loosen the drum. If a manual is not available, call the company.  You should be able to get to the turnbuckle to tighten the forestay.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

tsoko

Jim,
Another thing you might want to try is to tighten your forward lowers a little more than your aft lowers.  This sets up a tiny bit of "pre-bend" in the mast (at least as much as you can with a telephone pole for a mast as our boats have!).  I've found that tends to reduce the pumping of the mast.

Jim "SV Ohana"

here's what I've done sofar;
backed off the masthead and aft shrouds one turn.
tightened the backstay two turns each. Eveything seams to have calmed down.
will keep you posted
thanks for the replys
Jim