Aft Water Tank Repair

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

I have discovered that my aft water tank has a leak - top rear edge near the rudder post.  

My initial reaction was to replace the water tank; however, this appears to be a time consuming task since the wires / cables that run to the pedestal would have to be removed.

Searching the web I found a couple of products that claim to repair polyethylene tanks.  For example, Syon Plastic Tank Repair kit - found on a RV related web site.  

Has anyone repaired a water tank?  If so, what product did you use?  

thanks

Roc

Barry,
Adhesives usually don't stick well to polyethylene.  I've never heard of the stuff you are refering to, but I guess you can give it a try.  The thought I had was maybe you can heat it and melt the crack together.  From your post, it sounds like it is on the corner of the tank, which would be a thick section.  Would it be possible to get a hot soldering gun and/or heat gun to soften the plastic and weld it together??

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

kss1220

FYI there are companies that make a welder for fusing sheets of PVC, LDPE, and ABS.  I made my custom battery box out of 1/4in. sheet of PVC and welded it with a Steinel brand hot air gun plastic welder.  It is essentially a electronic temprature controlled hot air gun with a special nozzle that allows you to insert an appropriate welding rod of PVC, LDPE, or ABS.  The rod is melted and the sheet joint is melted as well as you make the weld.  The key is not to burn the material that is why the hot air gun is electronicaly controled.  

Anyway this could be a solution.

Gene Regan

Dear Barry     I run a body shop and have experience with plastic welding and it is not for the inexperienced, try to purchase instead a product made by Norton its called panel bonder and is available at body shop supply houses, it comes in various set up times , 5,10,& 15 min. set up,aand will work well in your repair.
Another is made by Lord and its trade name is Fusor.
plastic welding can result in real problems if you dont use the welder correctly and dont use the proper welding stick to match your tank material and also you must be good at controling the heat and have pressurized air supply as well.Some units dont need the 20-40    psi of air, and use an iron technique that also requires controled heat and right repair rods  as well.
If you need any info e mail me at mr6687@aol.com
and i will try to supply you with further instructions on bonding products.
Gene
713 Freedom

gene regan

Roc

This piece of information that Gene has about welding plastics gave me an idea.  What's great about this site is we have people from different walks of life that have expertise in many areas.  Gene's knowledge of plastic welding products would be valuable to capture for future reference.  There might be other items that we all use that would benefit others.  For example, I answered a post about a ss product that I've been using and put it through head to head tests with other ss cleaning products that don't even come close.  There is only one place I know where to get it, you have to send away for it.  

Maybe there could be a page on this website that captures things like Gene's plastic welding products, and so on, that can be used by others with similar issues in the future?

Regards,
Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ken Juul

Great idea, the cool stuff page only has 3 listing, maybe it can be expanded to include a table type format like the vendors page.

Web masters...look to you for the easiest solution...you will have to do the work.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

GOOD IDEAS

Roc and Ken:

One of the reasons that this group of boatowners has been so successful has been the 'intrepeneurnship' of its members.  
(May be a bad spelling of the big word, but you get the idea.)

You both share a great new idea about capturing and then sharing information, and you both have made significant and helpful contributions to this message board and the website in the past that we all appreciate.

You can take a lead on DOING it - implementing YOUR ideas.

It's easy:  Just get in touch with David Smith, our webmaster, and take the initiative to start a new page on the 'site, that YOU administer, that includes your really good ideas.

Don't know what it would be called, and what the highlight on the left side red home page click list would be.

How about - "Guess the real jobs of the members"

Shortcut ideas:
Guess
Jobs
"Real"

Great idea, guys.  We look TO YOU to make it happen.

Best regards,

Stu

PS:  I don't do windows (computers or otherwise) but I do boat electrical and mechanical systems.  My real job is also mechanical and electrical systems for buildings (just bigger boats !). I can make sparks fly on AC or DC, and create leaks and water spots on both land and sea!

Anyway:  please so identify me on your new C34 associate C34 website page.

[This message was edited by Stu Jackson #224 1986 "Aquavite" on June 14, 2003 at 11:38 PM.]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kyle Ewing

Barry,

How did you end up fixing the leak?  I found a split in my aft tank as well, aft side near the rudder post but low (behind the wood frame).  I'm thinking a previous owner didn't winterize it properly and expanding water cracked it.

My plan is to cut an inspection hole in the top of the tank to get access to the crack and attempt repair.  After reading the thread trying to plastic weld it may be the best option, but it'll be tight doing it from an access hole.  If I'm successful, will there be any water contamination?

I noticed my boat is only 3 boats newer.  Could we be suffering from some defective tanks?

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

arobart

Kyle
In order to facilitate a rudder replacement, I removed the aft tank fairly easily.  I noticed a little slackness in the cables and wires and after disconnecting the hoses was able to jiggle the tank out to portside. Having it out would probably make your repair a lot easier.

jentine

This stuff may be worth a look for repairing plastic tanks.
http://plastex.home.att.net/
Jim Kane