Maxwell windlass

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

Somewhere in the foggy past I saw instructions for sorting out if there is enough oil in the Maxwell windlass motor. However, viewing the oil through the viewing glass depends on the windlass being mounted vertically instead of horizontally I believe. Does anyone know how to confirm adequate oil levels with the windlass mounted horizontally as it is in the Mark II?

Cheers,
John Langford
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

John Langford

I'm replying to my own message which sets a new standard for social interaction!

Here is the message I received on this issue from Maxwell:

Unfortunately in order to view the oil level the entire unit will have to be removed from the boat and placed vertically on a bench.

To further the bad news, the manuals are not available on line yet. We are working on it but it will be some time before you will be able to download a manual. If you like I can mail you an owners manual for the VW 500 to the address listed below.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at any time.

Thank you,

Joseph R. Lima
Customer Service & Sales Rep

Don

Has anyone installed a remote switch for their windlass?  Being solo, a switch at the helm would be a big help.  

Don

dpitch65

Maxwell offers a remote control for windlass.  The product on Sailnet is located here and is only $70.

http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=18297

rbeecham

I have a 1999 C34 MK II, with the standard rope windlass.  Can this be converted to a rope/chain version.  I don't remember the Maxwell id for this unit.

If anyone has converted or knows of a conversion method, please advise.

Thanks,

arobart

Dick - the part number to convert the Maxwell VC500 to rope/chain is P71379 which includes a mainshaft and chain wheel.  Your local chandlery should be able to order it.  I removed the unit from the boat and did the alteration on my workbench (didn't know if any little parts might fall out)which was very easy. This also allowed me to change the oil.  The chain wheel is designed for 1/4" HT chain ONLY.  I am very happy with the results.

rbeecham

Arnold,

Thanks for the info.  Do you recall the price of the parts.

arobart

Dick - my price was $666.00 Canadian shipped to Toronto when the exchange rate was quite high.  I'm guessing that your price would be around $350.00, It may sound like a lot but every time I haul 80' of chain and a 33lb Bruce my back thanks me.

rbeecham

Arnold,

I checked with Maxwell and the gave me a price of $600 retail. I am checking with Sailnet to see what price they can give me.

I am curious as to how you utilize the chain option, I would like to set mine up with a remote control w/reverse if possible.  My primary anchor is a Bruce around 30 lbs.) and it sits solidly up forward.  I would still have to go up forward to get the anchor off the boat.

Any thoughts?

arobart

Dick
Don't know about the price - must be full list. But as an avid internet shopper/buyer, I cover North America and there are some good deals north of the border. After all it's a global economy - right.
My VW500 windlass is retrieval only, the launch is achieved by releasing and trying to feather a clutch which can get rather hairy at times.
By a fluke, I ended up with a Bruce anchor that would self-launch and self-store.  I installed a custom s/s dual anchor roller just below the topside crease in the hull.  The angle created between the stock bow roller and the anchor roller is sufficient to allow the Bruce to slid off or pop back on.  A less expensive solution might be a Delta anchor which due to its shank design is supposed to be self-launching.  Although I don't see how it would self-store with the stock bow roller.  To haul anchor I usually pull in the rope by hand and when the chain shows up I fit it into the chainwheel and step on the button - easy.  I'm not sure if having the controls at the helm is worth the complexity. Chains can foul or double wrap, it's good to watch what's going on and you can wash off the chain as it reels in.  Single handed anchoring and retrieval is not a big deal providing the weather is'nt too crazy.