Dutchman Parts

Previous topic - Next topic

reedbr

Where can I get Dutchman mainsail handling system parts?  I need to replace that continuous line and might as well replace the nylon filament while I'm at it.  I haven't found any sources here or on the web.

Thanks.
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD

sail4dale

Looked it up on Google.  Found the source that might have the help requested.
 Try looking in Google "Dutchman Sail Flaking" They have a web site and it gives you their address in Conn.

Roc

Brian,
If what you need changing is the continuous, double braided line, you can get that at WM or B/US.  You can unscrew the moving cars apart and you'll see how the line is connected.  I don't believe it is spliced, from what I remember looking at it in the past.  I need to eventually change mine too because the inner core is coming out of the outer casing, causing the cars to hang up.  

I've heard others replacing the monofilaments with weed wacker line.  Don't know if UV degradation would be a problem, but you can get those replacement lines from Dutchman directly.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

captaingary

The nylon filament line used by sail lofts is just monofilament fishing line (300lb) that you can get at tackle shops.
Gary Schneider
Windmill #1231
Long Beach  CA

jentine

The upper retainer of the forward monofilament contains the butt connection of the continuous line.  It is merely a mechanical connection and bolted together.  
As for the monofilament, I have used weed whacker line in the past with less than acceptable results.  When I asked the folks at Dutchman about line replacement, they gave me the line and said that fishing and weed whacker monofilament does not have UV inhibitors.  Theirs does and it lasts longer.
Jim Kane

reedbr

Jim & Roc- Not that I didn't believe you, but I have some "show me" Missouri in my blood.  I took the cars apart last night and you guys are dead on.  There is a knot tying the ends of the line together in the upper car.  Now to BoatUS to get some regular (or low stretch?) line.

No reply via e-mail from Dutchman yet on dutchman@sailnet.com.  I'll try calling today for that monofilament.
Brian Reed
St. Mary's River, MD

svsjora

I have used momofilament fish line for some time. It's cheap and lasts as long as the original stuff in my experience. Get 100 Lb or 150 lb test, (check the aproximate diameter). I believe that fishing mono does contain uv inhibitors.

reedbr

Dan at Dutchman just called me back from a message I left yesterday.  He spec'd 400lb mono, 60 ft, for a whopping $10.  I couldn't argue with that if it saves me a separate trip to the store.
Brian Reed
St. Mary's River, MD