stuffing box

Previous topic - Next topic

amoreau

Hi,  I have a 2000 MKII c34.  I didn't see the size of the flax needed for the stuffing box in the owners manual.  I found mentioned in the search here that it could be 1/4 or 3/16 inches.  Has anyone changed a MKII recently?  I'm going to order goretex over the internet.  Thanks.
Al & Candy Moreau  (Dun Wish'n) 1488 Borden light Marina

Ron Hill - guest??

Al : The size for all C34s is 3/16" packing.  I'd recommend that you use the GORE drippless packing.  Look in the projects list and call (410)392-3200 to order.  APACHE #788  ;)

Stu Jackson

MEASURE TWICE, CUT???

Al

It's not really hard to measure it.  Just back off the locking nut, and then the stuffing box, and measure the distance from the shaft to the inside of the nut.

Most times it's 3/16, but some folks, back when I declared it WAS ALWAYS 3/16, including Ron, have noted that some are 1/4.

IT'S NOT THE BOAT, IT'S THE LOG AND SHAFT for your own particular boat.

Stu

PS

Once you have it figured out, write it down and keep it safely with your computer passwords  :)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

amoreau

Thanks for the info.  Yes, I'm going with gore, for some reason I had goretex stuck in my head.
Al & Candy Moreau  (Dun Wish'n) 1488 Borden light Marina

Stu Jackson

Just a reminder that stuffing box information is written up in the original C34 website home page in FAQs.  It is: http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-stuffing-box.html

Additionally, after I wrote that, Gore came out with their new packing material, which can eb found at: http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products/gfopacking/packing.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Guys : That Gore packing is the way to go!! 
Replaced mine last spring while the boat was in the water.  Look in the tech note for that procedure.  Not as daunting a task as it may sound.  Think that mine had lasted about 6 or 7 years until I decided to change it.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Norris Johnson

I agree. Changed mine out with Gore Tex this past July. No drips. No heat. I used 3/16, but I think 1/4 would have fit better. The 3/16 is holding. We'll see how long it lasts.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Stu Jackson

One of the worst things you can do is oversize the flax.  It'll cut a groove in your shaft.  Rather than just stuff the too big material in, please, measure, measure, measure.  After all, it's right there in front of you.

Ron Hill

As Stu said DON'T over stuff the packing in the gland nut. 
Always make a periodic check of the temperature of the nut.  Carefully touch the nut while the engine is running and the shaft is turning.  The nut can be warm, but if you can't keep your hand on it -- then the gland nut is too tight or stuffing too large and you need to back off the nut and or redo it.   :!:
Ron, Apache #788