Universal M-25, How many hours can I expect to get out of it?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Kaplan

#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Robert Mann

My 2 cents worth on the subject of diesel engines, for what its worth.

Small, high speed, high quailty diesel engines which how I categorise the Kubota tractor engine used as the base by Universal should last 10,000 hours before major overhaul if well maintained.  There are other heavier designs, slower speed engines such as older Listers, Sabb which would routinely go 30,000 - 40,000 hours if well maintained.

Change the oil regularly, it soots up and newer more emisson friendly engines pass more soot to the oil and need more regular changes.  Change the oil filter every change and the fuel filter each year.  Don't be cheap and try to save $3 or $4 on filters they are cheap insurance, buy genuine nto nasty will fit ones.

Keep water out of the fuel, drain the Racor regularly.  Water will rust injection pumps and injectors and they are expensive. 

There was a string recently about cleaning injectors, my advice is: if the engine is starting well, running smoothly and noit smoking on acceration lleave them alone.  Injectors are an area where the consumer gets screwed if dealing with incompetent or dishonest mechanics.

As is usual, Ron is correct, diesels like load and temperature, within limits.  If they run on light load the carbon up and also tend to glaze the cylinder walls, causing piston rings not to seat properly.  This in turn leads to oil consumption etc.  Too low temperature, caused by short operating periods leads to condensation inside the engine, which causes acid to form, which also is nothing good.

As I said earlier the Kubota is a solid and very reliable engine, look after it and under normal sailing circumstances it will out last you.

Jim Price

Just a point of advice for those of us that have to travel very short distance to sail.  I run the engine at any opportunity I have when I am messing around on the boat in the slip.  By run, I mean, IN GEAR with a load on the engine.  This could be an hour or more sometimes.   Usually in reverse as this places less strain on dock lines and the boat does not really go very well in reverse as we all know.

I vary RPM range up to mid-2000 in this mode.  Helps heat engine, works transmission and shaft - keeps things moving.  At points I have run engine up to 3000  RPM for short periods.  I DON'T LEAVE THE HELM AREA WHEN AT THIS LEVEL - I am not that stupid!

If you are concerned your dock lines and cleats will not hold doing this, then you have a greater problem to worry about that needs correcting other that a low hour engine.

If you are co
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA