Re Bed Chainplates

Previous topic - Next topic

RICHIE

Does anyone have an estimate of time to re-bed the chainplates? I am getting different prices..(all over the map)
Just wanting to know if someone is padding the time....
This is on a 1986 34

Thanks!

Stu Jackson

Chainplate Rebedding

Richie

We have a 1986 C34 also.

The tasks are:

-loosen the turnbuckle  maybe 5 minutes, tops
-remove the pins and cotter rings  10 minutes
-take off the rectangular top (two screws) 1 minute
-in the cabin, loosen the bolt 2 minutes
-remove the old sealant - depends on how bad it is, say 20 minutes
-put in the new sealant   upstairs and down 10 minutes
-tighten bolts and replace cover plate  5 minutes
- come back the next day to do finish tightening after sealant has set  2 minutes

I haven't done the math, since this typing box is so small, but you get the idea.  That's per chainplate.  Unless you have some severe time restrictions, why not just go for a 1/2 hour shorter sail, and do one at a time or at least two at a time.  It's pretty easy.

Good luck,

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

dave davis

I had my chain plates rebedded by South Beach Riggers three years ago. They charged 67$ per hour.They rebed all 6 (upper and lower) shrouds. Lubricate and clean and inspect 6 turnbuckles. Clean and rebed thru-deck bolts. All was done in the water.Total hours 18 at a cost of $1206. It was more than I expected, but he did an excellent job.
It's always about twice what you expect. My rig is now 16 years old and I am on barrow time per several critics.They take lots of abuse here in SF so I examine them often for broken wires.
Good Luck, Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Phil

Richie,
I agree with Stu, I've done the ECLIPSE which is an 86 model, a number of times...

RICHIE

Thanks for the suggestions...I think I will do it myself and save a few bucks...
Sent in my membership today...Thrilled to be an owner and member of this forum!!
richie (PAZZO) #113

Joe Grabmeier

I read Stu's advice on re-beding chainplates and Ron Hills comments.  My boat is out of the water with the mast down.  I was planning on rebeding before raising the mast.  Ron's advice to keep tension on during rebeding made me consider waiting until the boat is in the water.  I would rather do before raising the mast.  Can I do that?

jrgrabmeier

After reading the posts I decided I would try and rebed my chainplates.  My boat is out of the water with the mast down and I thought I would rebed before raising the mast.  However I see Ron suggests keeping tension on the rig when rebedding.  Can I do the job correctly with the mast down?

RICHIE

Ron;

Thanks....

what do you mean by keeping tension on the rig? Obviously not on the one you are working on....
Why does this matter?
Thanks!

Stu Jackson

If your mast is UP, you don't want to loosen all six shrouds (aft lowers, forward lowers and upper shrouds) at the same time.

Do two at a time.

Leave the other four in tension.  Avoids having the stick fall down!  :)

If your mast is out, just go ahead and rebed them, and then stick the stick back in.

Stu

PS

As might be suspected, there's a tad more information about this subject.

Try:  http://c34.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=search&s=329609511&reqWords=chainplates

As part of this reference, it one of the posts suggests that you check the FAQs on the main website, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tweetybd

Hi, Richie

It took us 1 - 1 1/2 hours per chainplate; most of the time was spent cleaning-out the old bedding.  So far (6 months later), so good.

regards,
Jon